10 Plate Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I have a new kettle and my immersion chiller is too small. I am considering a plate chiller but I am not terribly confident. I brew in my kitchen and would be feeding it via gravity not a pump. I am somewhat leary about cleaning & sanitation and flow of a plate chiller so I thought I might try a cheap 10 plate chiller!

Has anyone used one of these http://www.kegcowboy.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=250

My logic is:

1. less plates mean perhaps easier to clean, and

2. perhaps less likely to clog, and of course if it sucks

3. I only spent $35.

Also I could use my existing immersion chiller to cool down the water in an ice bath.

My biggest concern is that I won't be able to get it to work without a pump. Any thoughts?

subscribing... i am in your exact shoes.. curious about it yet leary about cleaning, sanitation and of course the PITA factor it might bring by brewing in a small apartment kitchen.

Give it a shot! I think for the size batches we do, 10P is fine. A lot of people (myself included) go with more plates but it's pretty much overkill. You could buy a pump with the price difference.

Back