10 or 20 Gal Boilermakers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egaberik

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding on what size Boilermaker pots to use in my electric setup that I am working on. Currently I only brew 5 Gal batches and right now do not have the storage space for 10 Gal but I am sure I will do it someday. If I decide to go with the 20 Gal Boilermakers has anyone had any major issues brewing 5 Gal batches? I know the Brewmometer will not reach as it is placed at about the 9 Gal mark. Is there any other issues besides that that I should be aware of?

I use the 20 gal models in my electric brew rig. I am glad that I went with the 20's. If you're already making this large of an investment, you might as well go big.

I have successfully brewed 5 gallon batches in the 20 gal kettles, though I usually put about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. Be careful when you install your heating element. I put mine at 4" and have had no problems with a 5 gallon batch, but it's close. You might try 3.5" if you're not using a hop blocker or anything like that.

I've been watching the the Brewhemoth conical thread, and I'm planning to purchase one when they work out the new temperature control system. Since they are a 22 gallon capacity for a super reasonable price ($430), I'm extra glad that I purchased the 20 gallon kettles. It's possible to ferment 5 gallon batches in the Brewhemoth, so this system offers me a great deal of flexibility. I figure that I should be able to do 5-15 gallon batches.

Do you have any issues with boilover on the 15's? I figured it would be ok you would just have to keep an eye on it.

I haven't done a double batch yet, but I have zero concerns. Electric is so adjustable, I have no hot break issues. I could boil 13+ gallons in there with no worries.

And I was a 20 gallon pot guy for 12 gallon batches with burners.

Latest posts

Back