10 Important lessons learned (so far)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

AKchill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've only brewed five batches. I'm still a beginner. There are several things that I have learned since I started this process. First, RDWHAHB. Second, have some patience (my first batch was a hef, and the last bottle was awesome). Third, LISTEN! Fourth, take good notes. Fifth, your fifth batch will be 800% better than your first. Sixth, RDWHAHB. Seventh, HAVE SOME PATIENCE. Eighth, the people on HBT know their $#!T, so LISTEN! Ninth, don't drink EdWort's Apfelwein like it is beer. Tenth, have some patience.

Anybody have anything to add to this?

llazy_llama

Reaction score
Yes, since you asked.

1: Your airlock is a cheap piece of plastic. Your hydrometer is a calibrated scientific tool. Listen to the friggin hydrometer, and tell your airlock to STFU.

2: If you don't have the patience to wait for your beer to mature, you're in the wrong hobby. How do you get to good beer hall? Patience, patience, patience.

3: Control your fermentation temps. This is one of the easiest things the new homebrewer can do to ensure good beer.

4: Star San is amazing. Use it in bulk, and don't rinse that foam! It's impossible to over-sanitize (unless you start boiling your yeast) so sanitize the hell out of everything and never look back.

5: If you're an extract brewer, go full boil ASAP. Your beer will thank you. Your friends will thank you. Your tastebuds will thank you.

6: Don't sweat the small stuff. Forgot to add the irish moss? RDWHAHB. Didn't rehydrate that dried yeast? RDWHAHB. Airlock isn't bubbling after 4 hours? RDWHAHB.

7: Listen to the folks on HBT. HBT is the combined collective wisdom and experience of 10,000+ brewers who have been brewing for decades. At this point, they know what they're talking about.

8: Don't start a new thread about something that's been discussed ad infinitum already. Plastic vs. Glass. Star San vs. Iodophor. Dried yeast vs. liquid yeast. Craigtube vs. Every other homebrewer. Do a search before you ask a question. Some people say there are no stupid questions. I say that some people are stupid, and that there are plenty of stupid questions, or questions that are just plain lazy. Don't expect HBT to do your homework for you.

9: Measure twice, cut once, and write it down! It's not hard at all to take some notes and just save them to a word file on your PC. In the long run, it will pay off big.

10: Most importantly, brew what you love! If the beer you love is a malt heavy stout with just a shaving of a hop pellet, brew the hell out of it! If you prefer a mouthfull of super hoppy 200 IBU 10XIPA, then brew that! Don't try to impress anyone other than yourself.

OP
OP
AKchill

AKchill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
To elaborate on #9, almost every PC comes with some form of Microsoft Office. This includes Excel. An Excel spreadsheet is a completely easy way to keep track of how you are brewing your beer. In fact, I'm actually going to replicate my third "I'll just throw this $#!T together and see how it comes out" recipe, but with something to aid head retention, for the next batch that I brew.

To elaborate on #5, the second beer that I made I gave to some guys at my LHBS. They knew immediately that I did a partial boil. How? Who cares. They could tell, and all my buddies could tell that something wasn't quite right about the beer. Apparently, I carmelized the wort.

To elaborate on #7, I just have to say THANK YOU HBT! I'm just beginning, and I feel I can ask any question and get a straight answer on here.

DON'T DRINK EDWORT'S APFELWEIN LIKE IT IS BEER!!!

And, finally, to elaborate on that, if you have a question, ASK!!! Don't know the difference between yeast strains? ASK. Don't know how dry hopping works? ASK. Don't know why chilling your wort quickly is important? ASK!!! But SEARCH FIRST!

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
And what is RDWHAHB? :(

And I will quote the lama....

Do a search before you ask a question. Some people say there are no stupid questions. I say that some people are stupid, and that there are plenty of stupid questions, or questions that are just plain lazy. Don't expect HBT to do your homework for you.

*hint hint*

:D

Brewmasters Warehouse

Reaction score
Here is a couple lesson I think that people should follow when they are just starting out.

1. Learn the process of brewing, and get it down pat. It takes more than 2 batches, and resets when you change equipment.
2. Learn about the ingredients that go into the beer, and the effect on the taste, mouthfeel, etc.
3. Then you can start to experiment with changing and making your own recipes. Doing this before you get 1 and 2 down is like trying to run before you can crawl.

Ed

dagamore

Reaction score
AKchill, but the apfelwien fits soo good in a .5l glass, and you dont need to refill it often.

and keep in mind that the liver is evil and it must be punished :snark:

llazy_llama

Reaction score
A lesson I learned just this very morning. If you drink 3 pints of apfelwein at night, follow it up with at least an equal amount of water. No hangover for me, surprisingly. :mug:

LaurieGator

Reaction score
I have found if you have a spare bathroom, your spare bathtub or shower are MUCH easier to clean up after a beercano or a fruitcano! It is much easier to get cherry puree off of a ceiling in a bathroom than any other room in your house... Ask me how I know this...

Be patient! In the words of Tom Petty "The waiting is the hardest part".

If you live in a warm climate, a bathtowel wrapped around your carboy and a fountain pump can really lower your brew temps!

Oxyclean is GREAT for cleaning bottles and carboys! I just throw a couple of scoops in the bathtub, put 2 - 3 cases of bottles in and let it sit for a day. It gets all sorts of gunk out of the bottles including spider egg cases.

Your local recycle center is your friend. From getting bottles to refrigerators cheap to finding stuff to expand your brewing equipment, it is a great place to go! Mine is only open on Saturday, so I call the owner a day or two ahead when I need beer or mead bottles and then go pick them up. Payment for bottles is some yummy homebrew!

Listen to the wise men and women in this forum. They know their stuff!