10 Gallons a day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noggins

Reaction score
I've recently had some issues with the drain plumbing on my indoor air conditioning compressor unit clogging. As a temporary fix, I rerouted the drain into a 2.5 gallon bucket earlier today, figuring I would simply dump it once a week, until I have the time and money to install a permanent drain solution.

5 hours later, the bucket's filled to the rim with water! A little research has shown the water is fine to use for my garden...so I'll definitely be doing that from now on. Gonna rig up some permanent solution to drain into a large water pail which I'll collect into my watering bucket.

Of course my first thought was to boil it for use in homebrew, but I can't find any logical reason to risk the price of grain/hops/yeast on nasty water.

Yeah, I wouldn't use it to drink or brew with. The inside of those units are, well....nasty. Great for plants, but not for you.

I would hope your not getting any condensation in arizona! here in tx we're all about the humidity.

Here is an extreme; a large air handler from work that supplies 100% make-up air to some chemical labs, in Florida, on a 90* F, humid day. We have several of these at our facility. The lighter is just to give an idea of scale. It drains similar to this this non-stop, 24/7/365 (obv it varies with temp and humidity). This is the first time I've tried to post a video so I'm not sure this'll work.

Here is a pic of the air handler:

2011-06-10131117.jpg

Note the insulation on the condensate drain piping, without that the (cold) pipes themselves would condense water vapor and drip all over the place.

Back