10 gallon round cooler false bottom fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewski

Reaction score
I put this here instead of another thread that was already going. The discussion was around domed false bottoms used in 10 gallon Rubbermaid-type coolers. No matter what I did to mine, I got grain coming in underneath the FB. In another thread someone figured out a way to seal the false bottom with a silicone gasket seal from McMaster which was a good solution. But it was quite a bit of money. I looked at what I had laying around, and one thing was a jaybird false bottom for a keg, the flat kind, that I had purchased from Norcal on sale for like eight bucks. I never used it, I do have kegs but I also have a separate system with a 15G pot which is a lot lighter.

Anyway the solution here was just to take some stainless wire and wire the jaybird flat FB on the bottom of the domed FB, basically creating a chamber where even if the grain got below the domed part it would be sealed out pretty well. One problem was that the jaybird had a hole cut in the middle. I soldered some stainless screen onto the hole to close it up (terrible solder job, soldering screen is not easy). Anyway I am going to test this out tomorrow. I also cut some stainless screen I had into a circle and thought about layering it in there sandwiched in between but anyway this is simpler. I'll try it first.

jaybird-fb-fix.jpg

jaybird-fb-fix2.jpg

jaybird-fb-fix3.jpg

Back