10 gallon MLT big enough for 10 gallon brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
I want to brew a 10-gallon batch of a blonde to compare the two different yeasts and their effects. I read some article or blog and it sounded interesting, plus I killed two kegs last night and have the need for 10 gallons. My worry is that the 360-brew calculator said to use 6.98 gallons to mash. I have a round rubber made 10 gallon cooler and the grain bill is for 21 lbs
15 lbs pale malt
3 lbs cara-pills
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb caramel/crystal malt
1 lb wheat flaked

Has anyone brewed a 10-gallon batch with a 10-gallon mlt and 21 lbs of grain?

What would happen if I short the mash water? (I will be extremely to stir my arms off to insure I have no dough balls before topping off the water)

I plan to do a double batch sparge, if I short the mash water can I compensate by using more sparge water, and allowing for longer rest periods before I collect the 2nd and 3rd runnings?
I usually collect my first runnnings add 1/2 the sparge water stir and let it sit for a few minutes, if I let it sit for longer will this help/hurt anything?

If I mis-used or mis-spelled anything I apologize.

Supposedly you can fit 12 pounds of grain in a 5 gallon mash tun. So, I'd say you'd be able to do 21 in 10 gallons.

I have had 24 pounds of grain in my 10 gallon round cooler and mashed with no problem. Just be careful stirring. I mashed in with whatever beersmith said to. Don't remember if it was 1.25 or 1.5 quarts per pound.

I have had 24 pounds of grain in my 10 gallon round cooler and mashed with no problem. Just be careful stirring. I mashed in with whatever beersmith said to. Don't remember if it was 1.25 or 1.5 quarts per pound.

I am using 1.33 qts/lb. strictly because it is the default on the calculator:confused:

Bobby m has a sticky thread in the equipment forum that breaks down what will fit in different size mlt's.
I just took a look at it to tell you exactly what you can mash, but I can't see the graphic on my iPhone for some reason. Check it out.

I did a 10 gal batch in a 10 gal cooler with 23# grist. I used 1qt/# mash in ratio and infused 3 qts boiling water to reach my temp. I recall the mash tun being shockingly full. My only problem was that I didn't have enough HLT capacity. I fly sparge and ended up running MLT drip dry. So, more accurately, my HLT was exactly the right size.

The result was 100+ bottles of Septemberfest Ale, OG. 1.060.

I did 10 gal batch of an ipa with 26#/1.1. it fits but just barely. The green bay rackers site is awesome for mash tun space.

Latest posts

Back