10 Gallon Mash Tun Pricing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Francois

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a fully assembled 10 gallon Home Depot rubbermaid cooler mash tun with an all-stainless bulkhead and ball valve and braided screen from BargainFittings. I've decided that this setup isn't for me, and I'd like to sell it on craigslist.

I can't, however, decide on a fair price. The cooler was $40 and the hardware from bargainfittings was $46. The tun has been used 4-5 times.

Pricing at online HBS gets close to $150 for this setup, I assume because it is a)already assembled and b)inflated due to shipping costs.

Since it is already fully assembled and I am selling it locally, what is a fair price for me to ask on Craigslist? Is it worth more than the sum of its parts? Equal? Or Less?

Opinions sought...

$100 or BO - gets you some profit for your labors and/or some room to negotiate.

I have a hard time seeing how it could be worth more than the sum of its parts based on the fact that a) it's used and b) it is not particularly difficult to assemble.

You can always try $100 and see if you get a response, but personally I would not buy it at that price.

I have a hard time seeing how it could be worth more than the sum of its parts based on the fact that a) it's used and b) it is not particularly difficult to assemble.

You can always try $100 and see if you get a response, but personally I would not buy it at that price.

But others might not have a hard time seeing that price...

I find with selling things on Craigslist is to take the price you think it's worth and then add 10% to 20% to that. I'm amazed at what one will spend on used items. I expect to be haggled down but have had multiple instances where the buyer's willingness to pay was much higher than I expected, so I walked away with more than I thought I would and he walked away feeling like he got a great deal.

How long do you want the item for sale, and how many potential customers do you feel like dealing with?

I tend to price things to move quickly, I have no patience for tire kickers asking silly questions.

I actually love the art of the deal. Negotiation is fun to me!

That said, I would list it for $100 or just a little over and expect to do a little bit of haggling. People just like to think that they've talked someone into a better price, so even if you come down $10, you get to sell it, they get what they think is a good deal. Win-win.

Its DIY and used. $50

Not sure why you think you can get $100 for something that only has an original (un-used) value of $86.
It takes all of 5 minutes to swap the original spigot for the ball valve parts...which isn't worth $14 to me.

I tried selling a '72 Dodge D200 on CL for $1400... people complained it was too high. My wife posted it a month later without telling me for $1800. It sold for $1750.

You have one idea of the value and someone else will have their own.

Not sure why you think you can get $100 for something that only has an original (un-used) value of $86.

I'm NOT sure that I can...that's why I'm seeking advice. Thanks for your input that $50 is more reasonable.

I imagine many on this board would wonder why I'd pay bargain fittings to ship me a complete cooler kit when the parts are available at any hardware store. The markup was worth it for me because I have more money than time, and I spent too long wandering around Menard's trying to find this fitting and that fastener.

I suppose there could be someone out there who is busier and lazier than me, yet still has the urge to go all-grain. :drunk:

I'm NOT sure that I can...that's why I'm seeking advice. Thanks for your input that $50 is more reasonable.

I imagine many on this board would wonder why I'd pay bargain fittings to ship me a complete cooler kit when the parts are available at any hardware store. The markup was worth it for me because I have more money than time, and I spent too long wandering around Menard's trying to find this fitting and that fastener.

I suppose there could be someone out there who is busier and lazier than me, yet still has the urge to go all-grain. :drunk:

I did exactly the same thing as you (except I don't use a bulkhead). Anything more I might have spent on the BF kit was worth not having to run all over looking for SS washers, etc. Been using it for 3.5 years now, great setup. My view is it would be worth not a lot less than what I paid for it. I don't see what there is to depreciate it, and it's already put together and ready to go.

Believe it or not there are HB out there that are not the type that would care to spend time at the hardware store picking out the right size parts to fit their cooler.
It may be well worth it to someone to pay you $20 to put this thing together. Don't sell yourself short.

$100. Market it as "fully tested and leak-free". The labor you put into this is worth it to someone.

Just updating...I listed and sold it for $90.

Got more cash out of it than I put into it, plus 5 batches of beer.

Back