10 gallon extract batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sims_l22

Reaction score
I would like to know if someone could help me with any info on how to make a 10 gallon extract batch of beer. I know alot of you would say why don't you move up to all grain and make a 10 gallon batch. I am going to purchase me a 15 gallon keg which is my start to all grain. this will be a slow process for me. Until i get all the components needed to brew all-grain. I want to be able to brew what i can. Can you help me?

I think it is as easy as increasing your ingredients by a factor of two and I bet you need high power heat to boil the larger volume of wort

I think it is as easy as increasing your ingredients by a factor of two and I bet you need high power heat to boil the larger volume of wort

Right. To make a 10 gallon batch, multiply the ingredients of a 5 gallon batch by 2. Keep in mind that a bigger batch will take longer to cool, so you'll need a chiller of some sort when you get a bigger boil going.

You could also use a 32 qt. kettle on two gas burners (which is what I do if ya got one) and boil 5 gallons of water and start adding your x2 ingredients. Before this, if you have steeping grains, you can steep in a smaller 8 qt. kettle with 2 gallons of water and add that when finished to the 5 gallons of boiling water. This would give you about 7 gallons and some head room for foaming. You'd have to add some make-up water in the primaries of about 1.75 gallons each after boil-off. Really, two gas burners under the one pot does work well as I've done it twice already with great results. You may have a different set-up but this is what I use to get the most of a full volume boil for 5 gallon batches. This is what I'd do to get as close to I can to a full vol. in a double batch. You'll definitely need a wort chiller. I got a SS one that takes near boiling water to 72 degrees in about 10 minutes for a 5 gallon batch.

I use my 15 gallon kettle on a camp chef stove and have no problem getting to a boil and then some. For my 10 gallon batches I still run them through my beer software to properly scale the amounts. I have found that just doubling does;t always get the same numbers as the volumes are bigger which seems to impact the IBU's and sometime final gravity since my boil off is not quite the same. Easy to do though and a 10 gallon extract is no problem.

Back