10 gallon extract batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted125

Reaction score
I'm wanting to bump up to a 10 gallon batch. I'm wanting to try and do a red/amber ale with decent hops. I was wondering if I should get two 5 gallon kits, or would it be cheaper to try and buy the ingredients "ala carte". If anyone has any suggestions or recipes?

I'm not disagreeing with you, because I'm a new brewer. I was just wondering if you could explain why doubling the 5 gallon extract wouldn't work. Thanks in advance

yeah im not sure why I just know they always say when scaling up and down to use brewing software because its not linear. try pluging the numbers into Hopville. They have free software to use online hopville.com I used them for a long time calculating recipes.

Bakers and other food people deal with this all the time. When we start dealing with large amounts of ingredients things really change. For instance ratio of ingredients for the recipe we would use to make sugar cookies at home is not the same as the recipe used at an industrial bakery. The software is good stuff and really makes our lives easier... I said easier.

Back