10 (gallon) cornie kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrad

Reaction score
i have an oppertunity to buy some 10 gallon corny kegs however 1 lacks dip tubs, having never delt with 10 gallon kegs i have some questions, the out tubes seem to be identical to the 5 gallon, but the in(co2) is longer, i have extra co2 tubes for the 5 gallon kegs, does anyone know if the shorter 5 gallon tube will work on a 10 gallon keg.

As far as I'm concerned, (and I've rebuilt hundreds of cornies) the in tube is the least important part in the keg. Seriously, except for holding that o-ring in place, I don't even know why they use them.

Run a shorter one. You just may get an extra glass of beer in your keg!

steve

yeah it will work as long as they are the same diameter. The reason they use them is that the poppit is designed to sit on the gas tube to seat. But if the 5 gallon tube fits you are golden.

No, the tube's not gonna work. Those things are totally useless....you probably ought to send them to me :D

if you have a beer dip tube that is too short, you can extend it with just about any food-safe tubing.

As far as I'm concerned, (and I've rebuilt hundreds of cornies) the in tube is the least important part in the keg. Seriously, except for holding that o-ring in place, I don't even know why they use them.

Run a shorter one. You just may get an extra glass of beer in your keg!

steve

In their original incarnation as pop/soda kegs it was not uncommon for them to be hooked up in series so that co2 into the first keg pushed liquid into the next keg, which pushed liquid into the next keg, etc. That way a restaurant that knew that on a typical night they went through 6 kegs of coke could hook up 6 kegs in series and no one would have to swap out kegs during the dinner rush. The short in tube probably was close enough to (or even touching) the liquid surface in the tank to minimize foaming when liquid came into the tank.

Back