10 Gallon Batches @#$()*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
So I found a decommed keg to use as a boil pot, and I have the fermenter question taken care of, and I got a huge wort chiller and my all grain tuns are set up for 10 gallon batches but my burner stand... not so much.

I put the keg on it and put 13 gallons of water in it and it seemed okay, I pushed it around a little and it was pretty steady but... I dunno man, this burner stand is pretty flimsy looking. I don't want it to buckle or suddenly spontaneously disassemble when there are 10 gallons of boiling wort on it.

This is the turkey fryer I'm using. Note the spindly construction. The thing the burner is in is just sheet metal and the legs aren't a lot thicker. What say the brewmeisters? I'm kind of skint right now so I can't afford anything fancy. Anyone have a trick for getting me going?

Thanks.

41DZ0F7ZBPL._SS500_.jpg

Thouht I've some use cement blocks with a grill grate to support the keg with the burner slid underneath. Many of the cheaper fryer setups are like you mentioned, sheet metal. What really concerns me are the screws, they appear to be low grade and question how well they will hold up to the heat.

I have seen many of the screws strip when putting the fryer together and only going down hill from there. If higher grade screw are used, I would feel a little more comfortable about the structure supporting a keg.

If that is the Eastman Outdoor turkey fryer set, that burner puts out 65,000 BTU's and will easily boil 13 or 14 gallons.

Like you said the stand isn't the best. A converted keg will fit it and I've boiled 8 gallons on it with no problems. I built a stand using that burner before going to 10 gallon batches and have no complaints.

Lil' Sparky said:
Time to go scrounge some bed frames and build you a brew stand. ;)

Ah see this is the sort of brilliant idea I was hoping for! This way I can save cash on the raw materials. Thanks for the tip.

PT Ray: Cinder blocks may be what I've got to use tomorrow to brew until I get something serious built.

Alps - yeah it's the eastman kit. I got it on super-clearance at the local hardware store out of season. The burner is great, I'd say 65000 would be conservative cause it boils pretty fast. I've boiled 7 gallons on it easily but I'm wary about a full keg. I think that's pushing it.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

mward said:
Ah see this is the sort of brilliant idea I was hoping for! This way I can save cash on the raw materials. Thanks for the tip.

PT Ray: Cinder blocks may be what I've got to use tomorrow to brew until I get something serious built.

Alps - yeah it's the eastman kit. I got it on super-clearance at the local hardware store out of season. The burner is great, I'd say 65000 would be conservative cause it boils pretty fast. I've boiled 7 gallons on it easily but I'm wary about a full keg. I think that's pushing it.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Where do you live? I've got an old bed frame, I'm in NE Iowa.

I'm near Kansas City, probably too far to drive for a bedframe. But thanks for the offer.

I did this around the top of my burner with pre-drilled angle iron, and it didn't cost too much. you could do something like it and make legs coming off of it, i think that we are going to have to do that to a friends burner we almost lost a batch last brewday, if we do i will post pictures.

Cheers

Ooh 48 clams ain't bad. I will have to run by lowes and see if they have anything similar.

That pre-drilled angle iron is damned expensive down in the tiny little town I live in. 2$ per foot. I will see if it's cheaper at lowes.

I've been thinking about this. Normally I fill my HLT up with 5 gallons of 180 deg water and hoist it up onto the fridge but I don't think I'm going to be able to do that with 10 gallons. This is gonna take some more figuring out, methinks.

mward said:
Ooh 48 clams ain't bad. I will have to run by lowes and see if they have anything similar.

That pre-drilled angle iron is damned expensive down in the tiny little town I live in. 2$ per foot. I will see if it's cheaper at lowes.

I've been thinking about this. Normally I fill my HLT up with 5 gallons of 180 deg water and hoist it up onto the fridge but I don't think I'm going to be able to do that with 10 gallons. This is gonna take some more figuring out, methinks.
That's exactly why I built this. No more lifting hot water and risk scalding my ruggedly handsome face. :D

brew%20stand%20in%20action.jpg

Back