10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxbing

Reaction score
Now that I have a few batches under my belt and some recipes that I know I like, I am thinking about making double batches. I currently us a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler for a mash tun and A keggle for boiling. Could I do double batches with this set up? Is there anything else that I need to take in to account.

Thanks

I know that with my 5gal stock pot as my mash tun I have been able to do some pretty hefty grainbills for a 5gal batch. Most so far was 12lbs 4oz at slightly higher than 1qt/lb of grain. That said, if you are doing beers around 1.060 OG and under, you should be ok with a 10gal MT. The keggel will easily be enough for the boil capacity needed.

The keggel will easily be enough for the boil capacity needed.
This is true. It will take 12-13 Gallons to boil down to 10-11. It will be Full to the point where you definitely won't want to turn your back on it though!

I did a 10G batch and have a 12G Mash Tun. Just depends on your grain bill. Obviously you couldn't do a 10G batch of Barley wine in there, but something normal you sure could. Check here to see what will fit. Scroll Down to "Can I Mash It? This will tell you how much grain your mash tun can hold based on water/grist ratios and deadspace.

At home i use a keggle for boiling my 10 gallon batches. It is fine as long as you watch it. Dial down the heat when it looks like it will boil over and add the hops slowly. Then you need to pay no attention to it until you are ready to whirlpool or add other hop additions.

Back