10 Gallon batches using 2 fermenters???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarrsipius

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my equipment to handle 10 gallon batches. I mostly do 5 gallon batches but would like to do the occasional 10 gallon batch. Question is regarding fermenters...Is it best to ferment the whole batch in 1 fermenter or can I split the wort into two 5 gallon batches and ferment them in seperate fermenters?

If I had a 14.5 gallon fermentor, would it be ok to do 5 gallon batches in it (lots of head room)?

I'm sure these questions have been asked before but my searches didn't come up with a good answer.

thanks

Nothing wrong with splitting the batch - that's what I do currently. I'm going to upgrade to a 15 gallon keg fermenter for my next batch though. I think the advantage of one fermenter for the whole batch is more fermenters means more batches at once. :mug:

That's kind of what I thought. I suppose an added bonus might be to try 2 different types of yeast for the same recipe and compare.

Any idea if there is a problem doing a 5 gallon batch in a 14 gallon fermenter?

It is best to do the fermentation in one vessel if possible, but you can use two fermenters. Using a Y type fitting so you are filling both fermenters at the same time with the same wort should be considered.(you can get stratification in boiler wort) The other problem is trying to divide yeast equally into the two fermenter vessels from building one starter.

You should try to use a smaller fermenters for 5 gal batches compared to the larger 10gal. batch fermenter.

If I had a 14.5 gallon fermentor, would it be ok to do 5 gallon batches in it (lots of head room)?

thanks

if you are worried about oxidation you could purge the vessel with c02 prior to wort transfer, c02 is denser then "air" and will fill the fermenter from the bottom up, or thats what i was told when i whatched some kegging vids and read a few books.

i wanna start doing this with my carboys when i do secondary

I just ordered a 15gallon keggle to go along with my 10gal mash tun. I am planning on much larger batches split into 2 different fermenters. The only real issue I'm facing is managing the yeast starters on 1 stir plate.

I just ordered a 15gallon keggle to go along with my 10gal mash tun. I am planning on much larger batches split into 2 different fermenters. The only real issue I'm facing is managing the yeast starters on 1 stir plate.

You can do one first then stick it in the fridge while you do the other. Or, as I tend to do, stick one on the stir plate for a while, then switch it out with the other. Probably not the best but I figure it better than just shaking one.

I just did a 12 gallon batch today where I split it into two buckets. I measured both OG's and they were exactly the same. I do recirc chilling with a therminator so I suspect stratification is not an issue with me. I pitched one smack pack into each (1.042 each) and I'm thinking it'll be just fine.

I guess if this becomes a regular thing, it starts to make sense to do starters. The money saved would add up quickly if you are using 2 smack packs per batch as oppposed to using 1 with a large starter and splitting that between the two fermenters.

I brew 8 gallon batches all the time, using a 6 gallon BB and a 5 gallon BB.

Just bought another 6 gallon, going to try a 10 gallon batch this weekend.

I'm looking pretty seriously at building a connical for 10 gallon batches, but need to figure out the space and cooling issues.

Back