10 Gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89OctaneStang

Reaction score
I just brewed my first ten gallon batch the other day and the only thought I had on how to break the 4.5 gallons of wort into two different fermenters was to put it in an Ale Pale and siphon off about half into another fermenter, add water to both, yeast, and ferment.

Is there a better way to get a more accurate calculation of half the total wort without moving it so many times from one fermenter to another or did I pretty much do what everyone else does? Because, even in doing it that way, neither one of the fermenters had the same OG because I was slightly off in the separation process.

from the sound of things this is what you already did but...

you could pour some of your wart into the pale. then put the pale and second fermenter on the same surface and start the siphon. the siphon action will stop when the fluid level in both containers is the same ... then its just a matter of pouring all your wart into one of the fermenters. then top them both off to the same volume. that way they both will have the same OG.

I didn't think about siphoning on the same level... Good point. Now thats assuming I use the same two sizes and styles of fermenters, correct?

Sorry I'm not understanding , you're doing 10 gallons of extract or all grain? Do you have a 10g kettle?

10 gallon partial mash. I have a 32 qt turkey fryer that I just started brewing in. Just seemed easier to brew one 10 gallon batch than two 5 gallon batchs. Am I on the right process with this or am I missing something?

Well if you can't do full boils and top off the entire 10g all at once, then you should atleast make some way of accurately measuring the ammount in kettle using marked spoon or accurately mark you fermenters

I didn't think about siphoning on the same level... Good point. Now thats assuming I use the same two sizes and styles of fermenters, correct?

yea sort of. i know my approach will work perfectly if the diameter of both fermenters are the same. their heights can be totally different. now its my understanding that the siphon will stop when the volumes equalize .... but it could stop with the liquid in both fermenters reach the same height. if thats what happens and one fermenter has a wider diameter the wider one will have more liquid in it.

Back