10 gallon batch in 10 gallon kettle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudstud

Reaction score
Looking for a good process and tips as to the best way to go about doing this.

I have a 4.5% pale ale recipe that I'd like to do 10 gallons of, I have the ability to mash the grain since there is only 18lbs in a 10 gallon recipe, but only have a 10 gallon boil pot.

My plan was to double the grain bill (plus a little for lost efficiency), mash like normal, runoff, then sparge until the kettle is full and top off throughout the 90min boil, then top the fermenters off with water.

Now here's where my questions start.

I know I will lose efficiency, does anyone have an estimate how much? Normal for me is 78%.

I'd like to top off with the remaining sparge water for the first 30min of the boil, then with water for the next 60 min. Any issues with this?

Anything else I'm not accounting for? Or maybe a better way of doing it?

Thanks!

Why not collect your full volume of wort and put as much as you can in your kettle and a few gallons in a smaller pot and boil it for 15 minutes. Then top off with that wort instead of water. Your hop utilization may suffer a little bit, but I don't think that much.

I would get some fermcap if you're boiling 9 gallons in a 10 gallon pot though.

That's a great idea, my only concern would be if 15 min is long enough to drive off DMS? Then again, I could just boil it for 90 min too, right? Maybe throw a very small dose of hops in there.

Fermcap- I always have it handy :)

Thanks!

Texas two step...brew 5 galllons and pitch yeast, then the following day brew another five and combine in the fermenter.

Your procedure above seems reasonable, maybe 5% hit on efficiency, IDK?

I think I would collect around 8 gallons of wort from the sparge, then start boiling it with a rigorous boil. Meanwhile, I'd collect the rest of the wort in another container. Once the original amount has boiled down enough, add the other 2 gallons or whatever and continue to boil. It would end up being at least a 90 minute boil total. Add bittering hops to the first "batch", and flavor additions to the second batch. I would make sure the second gallon or two boiled for at least 30 minutes or so. Add top-off water when it's done boiling to get 10 gallons total.

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I'm learning towards a combination of your ideas.

Collect 8.5 gallons in my 10 gallon kettle and the remaining 3.5 gallons in my second kettle, bring both to a boil then add wort from the smaller kettle as the larger one boils off. If I do it right, I will be able to top the fermenters off with whatever is left in the smaller kettle after 90min.

Latest posts

Back