10 gallon all grain batches with 50qt cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
I am beginning to collect the pieces necessary for an all grain set up.

I got a good deal on a 50qt Coleman xtreme, and I know it will work for 5 gallon batches, but will it work for 10 gallon batches for anything below imperials?

Using the can I mash it calculator, I could in theory fit up to 32lb of grain and water, but that would be to the full capacity. Does that matter?

I've done 10 gallon batches in my 10 gallon (40 qt) Igloo of average-sized (1.050 SG) beers. 32 lbs of grain for 10 lb batches makes a high gravity beer (something around 1.075 to 1.08, right?). In my experience if you're doing single infusion, full capacity in the mash tun is fine as long as you leave a tiny amount of space at the top so you can stir the mash occasionally.

Using the can I mash it calculator, I could in theory fit up to 32lb of grain and water, but that would be to the full capacity.

I was going to say, you just answered your own question didn't you? Any recipe above 32 lb you'll need to figure another plan like add some extract.

Cool, I want sure if it was acceptable to fool it nearly to full capacity or if that would create problems. Thanks guys

Back