10 Gal or more brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMJ

Reaction score
What do you make your starters in? Based on Mr Malty I would need something pretty huge for some of the bigger beers I am planning and was just curious what others use to make them.

I just split a starter of 3 vials of WLP833 between a German Pilsner and Munich Dunkel brewed back to back. Both 6.25 gallon batches. Starter was 4.5 gallons done in a 6.5 gallon carboy and split in half for each beer. I used the intermittent shaking option.

This week, I did a 1.5 gallon starter from 2 vials of WLP029 in a 3 gallon carboy for 11 gallons of kolsch.

Wine carafe from Crate and Barrel... I can't seem to paste the link.

Go to crate and Barrel and search for "Gallery Carafe"

It has a nice bell shape and thin neck. I don't remember paying as much as the website lists it for though. I think I paid something like $10 for it.

i think anything that you can easily clean works though.

Well, some lagers call for 3 liters in 5 gallons. Frankly, in that case, I underpitch a little. They do make 5 liter flasks if your stirplate is up to the task. My 2-liter is a little wide for my platform.

Two liter flask on a stir plate twice for 12 gallon batches and a third time when used for lagers. I decant and pitch the slurry from the first step into the second step wort and so on.

Catt22, do you know if that produces the same amount of yeast as stepping up to a 4 liter starter?

Not really. I would guess that stepping up to a four liter starter would be as good or better. I don't have a four liter flask or I would probably do it that way. Right now I'm building a second stir plate so I can make them simultaneously.

I make my first starter in a 1000ml flask, usually ~750mls and then I step it up to ~half gallon in a growler.

I would be tempted to use one of my 2l growlers for starters, since they are already handy. I'm one of those dry yeast users, primarily, though.

I use a 1 gallon jug ($3.99) for all of my starters... I've made a 3 quart starter in them on the stir plate. It has a rounded bottom, but I've never had a problem with the stir bar.

I've heard too many stories about expensive flasks breaking, so I just sanitize a funnel and off I go.

Back