10 gal Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffny25

Reaction score
So I am going to make the jump to AG. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment to brew 5 gallon batches, so i'll stick to 2.5-3 gallons. I have a 10 gallon cooler, but I was wondering if that would be to big for 6-8# of grains?

Thanks

So I am going to make the jump to AG. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment to brew 5 gallon batches, so i'll stick to 2.5-3 gallons. I have a 10 gallon cooler, but I was wondering if that would be to big for 6-8# of grains?

Thanks

Nope, perfect, did that many times

I was reading an article explaining the need for a decent layer of grain bed (~ 4 in) to act as a filter. With a lower amount of grain poundage, does the filter still get set up?

I was reading an article explaining the need for a decent layer of grain bed (~ 4 in) to act as a filter. With a lower amount of grain poundage, does the filter still get set up?

You will have less compaction with a small grain bill. What I can tell you is that it works fine, and I was still getting 80% eff.

Can you brew half the five gallon recipe, put it in a primary, brew the second half and add it to same primary? Or would it be best to combine the two batches when kegging? Like the OP, I have an equipment problem for AG brewing but have a recipe I want to try.

Back