10 G split into BW and Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_tries_brewing

Reaction score
First, I have not tried this, this is an idea of mine I am looking for feedback on its feasibility.

I would like to brew 10 gallons of a sour mashed BW and then split into two fermenters. From what I understand (I am a pretty new brewer) gose is a BW with sea salt and coriander added. Thus, could I boil salt and coriander in maybe half to a gallon of water, cool, and then add to one of my fermenters as I filled? I am thinking I would want my BW slightly more sour than the gose anyway so the dilution by adding my salt and coriander "tea" isn't a problem and I am not too concerned with gravity in these beers either.

Does this seem like it could work or should I just split the batch after the sour mash and do two separate boils?

Are you planning a boil? How do you cool your wort? You could pull 5 gallons out just before you do a spice addition. Them add your salt and coriander and there's your gose.

If you're doing no boil for the Berliner then you are already have separate 5 gallons batches to do a boil on the gose.

Good luck. I love getting two different beers out of one brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you can't cool the wort on its way to the fermentor, you can drain off 5 gallons in another pot, finish one, dump the wort back and finish the second.

I was planning on doing a boil and I should be able to do it as you suggested. Thanks for the great idea, it will be easy to do and seems to avoid any of this issues I had thought about.

I've been thinking about trying the same exact thing. Glad you started this thread. Let us know how it goes.

Back