1 week in taste test..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnarlyChick

Reaction score
My Hefeweizen has been fermenting for one week. I was curious what it taste like at this stage so i decided to test it out. It smells amazing, just like it should but it had a stronger alcohol taste than i was expecting. Is this normal at this stage? I would use my hydrometer but I've already managed to break it :fail: what exactly will the second week of fermenting do for my beer?

GnarlyChick said:
My Hefeweizen has been fermenting for one week. I was curious what it taste like at this stage so i decided to test it out. It smells amazing, just like it should but it had a stronger alcohol taste than i was expecting. Is this normal at this stage? I would use my hydrometer but I've already managed to break it :fail: what exactly will the second week of fermenting do for my beer?

What temp did you ferment at?

I brewed one a couple months ago, had alot of phenols in taste and smell like bad ones, kegged it for a week or two, and I had my doubts, its now one of the best beers I've brewed. Amazing!

What was the recipie? What yeast did you use?

It's very green right now still, only after a week. Even if it is done fermenting, it can still have an alcoholic bite to it that will mellow out with conditioning.

EDIT: And rock on Anne Arundel County!! :rockin:

What temp did you ferment at?

I brewed one a couple months ago, had alot of phenols in taste and smell like bad ones, kegged it for a week or two, and I had my doubts, its now one of the best beers I've brewed. Amazing!

What was the recipie? What yeast did you use?

I really hope thats how it ends with mine! Lets see, I fermented towards the high side between 70-73F. I used a Brewers Best extract kit but used Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat instead of the dry yeast it came with.

It'll mellow. I freaked out about my first batch. You just have to learn patience before you sneak a bottle for your first taste test (difficult, I know).

Back