1 st brew making since 1987

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex510

Reaction score
Its been many many moons lol. I choose to make a double IPA along the lines of Pliny from Russian River. 5-gallon batch. It's been so long any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

I'd imagine it's like riding a bike:cool:. Don't know how well you've kept up with developments, but dry yeast is good now. There's even a lot of strains available on the dry side. I've heard dry yeast got a really bad rap back in the day.

I have not really keep up with the times. sister found some of my(high school) old brew stuff while cleaning out her garage. I brought everything else from craigslist for pennies on the:)
dollars.

Hell yeah, welcome back! Pretty sure I was watching GI Joe in ‘87 but just in the last 5-6 years there have been some interesting hardware upgrades, available malts as well and more yeasts available.

Is the 510 a bay area reference? If so, your fortunate to have a few great brew stores within a relatively short drive. As long as you have temp control for fermentation and can limit oxygen exposure post fermentation it will probably just be knocking the rust off before your rolling full steam.

You've got this.

If you feel like you're in need of a refresher, there must be dozens of them on youtube.

When I started back brewing in 2011 after a 16 year hiatus, I felt like Rip Van Winkle. I found out about these:
  • I used to sanitize with bleach - now there's Star San.
  • Late extract addition
  • Hop stands
  • Campden for getting rid of chlorine in the water
  • Water treatment for extract brews
  • Shorter, less vigorous boils
  • Many different options for rehydrating and dry pitching dry yeast
That's all that comes to mind. It should give you plenty to research if you're bored. Welcome back to brewing.

So many good One Hit Wonders from ‘87...just queue up the 80’s music and it will all coming flooding back.

Midnight Oil — Beds are Burning
T’Pau — Heart and Soul
Club Noveau — Lean on Me

the eponymous “Living in a Box”

and lest we not forget Patrick Swayze— She’s Like the Wind

hey !:) I met T'Pau at the Berkeley square at the JV liquors across the street back then

Its been many many moons lol. I choose to make a double IPA along the lines of Pliny from Russian River. 5-gallon batch. It's been so long any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
I just started brewing this summer after taking a break since sometime in the 1980s. The amount of information available now is almost overwhelming compared to what I had access to back in the 1980s. I am using lme also, while I try to figure out just what hardware I want to invest in. Good luck with the IPA!

I know what you are experiencing, I emigrated from the uk in 1986 after 8 years of brewing and got back into it in South Africa 3 years back and can see the changes in technology. I have learnt a lot from this forum, in respect of brewing methods, especially getting my brewhouse efficiency up from the low 80's into the 90's.

Similar story-I have been going now for 2 1/2 years, but had a 20 year break before starting up again. The tech is so much better, the ingredients are so much better. I remember drinking from my Mr. Beer in the late ‘90’s wondering why am I doing this? Sierra Nevada makes much better beer.

Now, we can make so many good things.

welp...I started this afternoon
At 12:46 pm north California time, I poured 5 gallons of 160 degrees water in the orange 5-gallon water cooler. the cooler has a / the nylon bag. the ingredients are .5 40 car an .25 pils 3 oz of centennial pellets hops. Not sure how long I will mash for.
I am doing research now and watching some nfl football. will start brewing later on tonight

update. I mash hopped till 6:40 pm /5-hour mash. I started to boil at 6:40 pm northern California and did a hard simmer at around 160 -165 degrees for 60 mins. adding all the liquid malt extract and last set of hops in the last 10 mins with it being at 170 degrees.

possible problem ....The wyeast 1056 i pop a couple of hours ago and now they look like they are ready to explode! The wort is really taking its time to cool currently at 140 degrees. what should I do to save the yeast???

Research everything. These forums are like an encyclopedia. I was in your shoes earlier this year, and found these to be a great resource. I've since had a couple of successful brews, thanks to the knowledge passed on here. Also, don't be cheap when it comes to equipment.🍻✌️🇨🇦

well, I put the yeast back in the refrigerator last night. just got done taking wort out of the keg this morning around 10:30 am . lots and lots of trub at the bottom of the brew kettle. Is this normal? , I also did not put the trub in the primary is that ok? Is the trub needed to ferment? There is about 4.755 gallons in the primary! happy with that! The smell is amazingly good!
The 1st packet of yeast open and poured in went smooth but when I looked at the bottom of the bag the yeast was all there /so shake those pack really well. 2 pack no prob.
so as of now, it is in the primary bucket. I have lots and lots of question on dry hopping / should I keep posting my questions on this thread? or move it /and where should I move it too?
ps. I have a small bag of sugar leftover that has the words prime sugar written on it.Is this bag for bottling?

Priming sugar is for bottling. The trub can be left behind in the brew bucket. Did you take an original gravity reading with a hyrdometer or refractometer?

Priming sugar is for bottling. The trub can be left behind in the brew bucket. Did you take an original gravity reading with a hyrdometer or refractometer?
Thanks 1hw !:) I thought that's what the sugar was for. I do have the meter - but do not know how to read it or what it is for. The primary bucket has a spigot should I take a reading?

Research everything. These forums are like an encyclopedia. I was in your shoes earlier this year, and found these to be a great resource. I've since had a couple of successful brews, thanks to the knowledge passed on here. Also, don't be cheap when it comes to equipment.🍻🇨🇦
yes, the people here are so nice -I like that I can ask dumb questions and everybody helps to teach me the answer.

Thanks 1hw !:) I thought that's what the sugar was for. I do have the meter - but do not know how to read it or what it is for. The primary bucket has a spigot should I take a reading?

Which one...a hydrometer? Or refractometer. Hydrometer looks like a fat-bottomed thermometer. Refractometer looks like a baby pirate telescope. Both are used to indirectly measure the amount of alcohol in your beer. You take an initial reading before adding yeast (people refer to this as Original Gravity [OG]) and then you take another reading after fermentation (called Final Gravity [FG]). The difference between the readings gives you an estimate of the alcohol percent (ABV). Knowing these values can also give you a sense of how your brewing session is going.

Last edited:
I think I have a hydrometer. will take a pic after lunch.
good news the airlock is starting to make that bubble sound:)

here are the pics/ The meter has 2 sides. Am I at a good number?
ps. tastes superb! very happy

Attachments

• DSCN2883.JPG
    DSCN2883.JPG
    762.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2882.JPG
    DSCN2882.JPG
    793 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2878.JPG
    DSCN2878.JPG
    775.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2877.JPG