1 Pound of Galaxy and 1 Pound of Crystal - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egmonster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My sister gave me a pound of Galaxy and a pound of Crystal hops.

I love hoppy IPA's. Can someone suggest a recipe? I am too new at brewing to really try and wing it myself just yet. :mug:

I made an all Galaxy beer a few months ago that was pretty hoppy.
I based the grain bill off of the Row 2 Hill 56 clone thread on here; adjust for your sytem/gravity preference:

OG - 1.045
FG - 1.012
ABV 4.3%
6 gallons to the fermenter

6lb Pilsner
3lb Maris Otter
0.75lb Crystal 20

BIAB - heat 8 gallons of RO water with 2tsp Calcium Chloride, 1 tsp gypsum and 2.4mL lactic acid
Mash full volume at ~154

0.5 oz Galaxy FWH
0.5 oz Galaxy 10 min
0.5 oz Galaxy 5 min
1.5 oz Galaxy hop stand 30 minutes
Cool wort to 175
1 oz Galaxy hopstand 30 minutes
2 oz Galaxy dry hop in the keg when carbonated, chilled, and ready to serve; leave in keg until kicked

I fermented around 60F with White Labs 001

If you want IPA strength, get the OG over 1.060

Cool! Thanks for that. I had a single hop galaxy hop beer that I quite liked. I will make something based off this.

Don't be afraid to play with the late hopping schedule a little - If you're dumping a ton in, it's unlikely that you'll taste much of a difference between moving some of the additions around. If I was to do it again, I would save some time and not do the whirlpool, adding them all in in the last 0-15 minutes. Some people really like the whirlpool results, though, so if you want (and it sounds like you have the hops to do it) you could brew it both ways and see.

Back