1-piece vs 3-piece air lock:which do you prefer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshay

Reaction score
I have recently been using an one piece air lock for my Imperial Pale Ale I am currently brewing and have relized that I needed to add more starsan into it due to the fact foam from the starsan keeps coming out of the air lock. So I just point some water in it hoping that I would not lose anymore? We will see... I used a 3-piece air lock twice and I had problems with it sticking somehow. I had to tap the lock and it started to bubble. Dunno if i was doing anything wrong with it, I mean it is a simply device.

Anyways, what type of airlock do you use and why?

As always thanks for your input and info.

Dakota

Cheers:mug:

I have both. If I am going to cold crash I like the one piece as it won't suck back in as easily.
They are all simple, the 3 piece can be a little like a check valve though.

I have both, the S-lock is garbage, use the 3 piece, easier to fill, easier to clean. Also, dont use starsan use cheap vodka, all those problems disappear

I have both, the S-lock is garbage, use the 3 piece, easier to fill, easier to clean. Also, dont use starsan use cheap vodka, all those problems disappear

Except an empty airlock. The S-airlock goes both ways.

I have tried, the S-lock and a 2 peice airlock ("Junior Airlock"). The later I thought would be good enough for 1 gallon demi's.

I find the S-lock works fine, although on my 5gallon bins, I need to barely fill the U bend, or the bins do not get enough pressure to bubble the lock.

I had a run away ferment with the Demis. Both S-lock and 2 piece airlocks filled with foam. Both were hard to clean, but the S-Lock had a bit of yeast slurry in it that was very, very hard to get out by soaking in hot sanitizer and then blasting with the tap through the airlock. Took ages.

The two piece junior had the issue that, it seemed, very easy to over-fill and it "looked" like it would leak back into the beer very easily. Topping up the 2 piece was very risky that you didn't pour sanitizer into the beer! Granted the S lock can allow air to bubble back in, but that is unlikely to happen with a normal process unless you squeeze the sealed FV and then let go.

I haven't tried a 3 peice yet.

I hate S shape they suck. Actually they SUCK quite literally - when the beer is cooling down either after pitching yeast or crash cooling the liquid from the S shape gets sucked into the fermenter.

I hate S shape they suck. Actually they SUCK quite literally - when the beer is cooling down either after pitching yeast or crash cooling the liquid from the S shape gets sucked into the fermenter.

Maybe we are talking about a different S lock. The ones I use there is no possibility of the liquid being sucked back into the beer, unless... you over fill it.

I have both the 3 piece & the "S" shaped airlocks, I like the S locks best, haven't used the 3 piece in years. The 3 piece will form a vacuum under changing temperature and/or changing barometric pressure from weather changes, the vacuum will often suck some liquid from the airlock into the carbouy; the S lock will only let a small amount of air in. I think a wee bit of air above the layer of CO2 is MUCH better than actual liquid (that may or may not be contaminated with something) not only making contact with, but getting mixed into my wort/must.
Regards, GF.

Since all they are are vents to release excess co2, and they both do that job just fine, whatever I happen to grab when I reach into the box where I keep them in....

I use the S lock. I like the fact that during the first 12-24 hrs if my wort isnt room temp yet from cooling, 75 degrees wort with room temps in the low 60's, the S lock will allow internal pressure to suck air in without sucking whatever liquid you choose to have in your airlock.

Foreign liquid = BAD

Thanks for all of the inputs guys, I really appreicate them. I know realize that starzan is not the way to go when it comes to filling your airlock due to it all foaming out within in a few hours because of the rough fermentation going on in my primary right now. But with regards to use vodka in your airlock, what happens if that is sucked back into the fermenter? Anyone know what the pros use by chance? Just a little curious is all.

Thanks again,

Dakota

Cheers:mug:

I use starsan in my airlocks exclusively. Who really cares if it foams out of the airlock? It's added protection. It keeps the outer part of the airlock sanitized afaic.

Vodka is sterile and flavorless, It has no effect on your beer at all unless of course you pour ounces in. I get vodka sucked back into my wort rather often and have never worried a bit, no infections, no off flavors. A few drops or even an oz of vodka is really Neg. when stacked up next to 5 gals of wort

Since all they are are vents to release excess co2, and they both do that job just fine, whatever I happen to grab when I reach into the box where I keep them in....

yeah, me too. i like the S type for long term aging in secondary because they evap less, IME. i use star san in the airlock for primary, everclear if i'm keeping something in a secondary carboy for more than a couple weeks. which kind of airlock i choose really depends on what i have more of that aren't in use. i probably own about ten of each kind.

yeah, me too. i like the S type for long term aging in secondary because they evap less, IME. i use star san in the airlock for primary, everclear if i'm keeping something in a secondary carboy for more than a couple weeks. which kind of airlock i choose really depends on what i have more of that aren't in use. i probably own about ten of each kind.

If you're worried about evaporation in secondary, I wouldn't use Everclear since it's rather volatile.

Neither. I have two of each and use both. I have never had either suck back and if I did a teaspoon or so of Starsan in 5 gallons does not worry me in the slightest.:confused:

I use both. I like how the 3-piece is much quieter then the S lock, but for anything that is going to be sitting around in the carboy for a while I'd rather the S lock, as it will keep it sealed longer as the fluid evaporates.

Also, IMO using anything besides water in the airlock is unnecessary.

kh54s10 said:
Neither. I have two of each and use both. I have never had either suck back and if I did a teaspoon or so of Starsan in 5 gallons does not worry me in the slightest.:confused:

To add to your no worries, starsan acids breaks down into yeast nutrient when mixed property for sanitation :mug:

Latest posts

Back