# 1 most versatile hop ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So if you had to pick one type of hop what would it be? I ask cause I'll be ordering my first rhizomes this year and only will have room for 1:( so....

I am almost in the same situation as you. I ordered 3 Cascade rhizomes with the thought if one don't grow if have the other two. Not sure if I picked the correct rhizomes to grow, but I know I use cascade in more than two or three brews.

What hops do you use the most of? That's what I would order.

Really I'm all over the board right now from hefeweizens and porters to ipa's and Russian Imperials so I'm not quite sure, although with the spring/ summer comming up I think I'm gonna focus on IPA and fruit beers.

Sorry, there is no easy answer if you don't have a particular style in mind.

British Beers - Fuggles (I would say EKG but I have had poor performance)
American Beers - Cascades (One of the best preforming hops for home gardeners)
German/etc - Hallertau

Sorry, there is no easy answer if you don't have a particular style in mind.

British Beers - Fuggles (I would say EKG but I have had poor performance)
American Beers - Cascades (One of the best preforming hops for home gardeners)
German/etc - Hallertau

I agree with this, except switch the EKG and Fuggles.

They just grow so terribly in my region, I have never had my Golding plant get over 6"... YMMV, that is why I put Fuggles for my selection. ;)

I would definitely say it's a regional thing. In NJ, Cascade is an invasive weed while Fuggle gets decimated by beetles every single year. I just decided to make it my sacrificial bait.

Centennial. Good bittering, great flavor, awesome aroma.

Columbus for the same reasons.

I think it would be smart to grow what your gonna use the most. IPAs use a lot of hops. So if you find yourself making IPAs then grow hops that would work in those beers. Like Centennial, Columbus Cascades, Chinook, etc...

They won't be great for European styles but those typically use less hops per batch anyways.

Maybe just stick with cascades as those sound like they are easy to grow.

Back