1 gallon hard cider/apfelwein recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMMcD

Reaction score
hey everybody, just signed up to homebrewtalk today, seems like a great forum! I've done some brewing in the past, but am completely new to the cider world.... anybody have a 1 gallon cider recipe? i'm talking super bootleg...

1 gallon of all natural apple juce
standard sugar (how many cups for a one gallon batch?
bread yeast

1 gallon carlo rossi bottle, let it ferment for a week or two, then filter and enjoy.. would this work? i'm definitely not looking to store the stuff but plan on making and storing quality cider in the future.

thanks!

I'd recommend losing the bread yeast, and buying some cheap wine or ale yeast. You can find wine yeast for about $.79/pack. No need for sugar, if you don't want. It'll boost the ABV, but it'll also dry out the cider a bit and make it less "apple-y". My favorite cider recipe is simply apple cider with some yeast added, and allowed to ferment. After it's done, just siphon to bottles. (no need to filter- and a chance to ruin the cider by oxygenating it.)

How much sugar you add is dependent on what abv. you want to reach. Juice alone will get your 4-7% depending on how much sugar is present in it. And bread yeast is pretty sloppy in my opinion. So spend the $0.79 on real brewing yeast. And let it take longer then a week or two, you won't get very good brew in that time. You need a few months IMO

Also, the more sugar you add, the longer it will take before the cider is drinkable (where drinkable is defined as tasting good vs forcing it down to get drunk)

Back