1 Gallon Glass fermenting jugs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Just a heads up to anybody looking for 1 gallon glass jugs for mead/experiemting/small batches/etc. Whole Foods is selling Apple cidar in nice clear jugs on the cheap(ish) right now

Also, remember that at Whole Foods, anything you buy by the case is 10% off. A case of this cider is 4 bottles, almost enough for a batch of apfelwein... :rockin:

p.s. at my Whole Foods, I had to ask for them - they had the gallon jugs in back, but not out on display anywhere.

Woot! I've been looking for thoes. Trader Joes used to carry them, but then they all went away. $5 for a gallon jug of apple cider vs. 7.50 at the LHBS for an empty one, hmmmm.

A note about the bottles:

The gallon jugs that Whole Foods sells cider in have Snapple-style, not growler-style caps. You know, the kind with the 'button' that pops when you open the bottle...

The bottles won't take a regular growler cap with threads, so if you're planning to package anything in these bottles, you'll have to reuse the caps they came with. I wasn't able to get the apple smell out of them after a 24-hour soak in Oxyclean, so I'm not sure how fit the caps themselves are for reuse.

If you're looking to use these bottles as fermenters only, like I am, then this won't matter, of course...

Thru the late 60's and all the 70's I used to get free 1 gallon brown bottles from the local drug store pharmacy department. Brown for UV protection of their medicines plus great UV protection for the photography chemicals. Thick threaded caps 1 1/2" tall, the glass would break before the cap would break off.
I bet this UV protection would help in your applications also. One skunky bier from a clear glass jug will change you mind from clear to brown UV protected instantly. Just another idea to think about like a brown maple syrup jug.

Back