1 gallon first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjswift

Reaction score
Okay, I have been making Mead for about 8 months now, and had some pretty good results (only making 1 gallon batches). I want to make beer now, and am going to get a kit and equipment (for 5 gallon batches) for christmas from my wife. I do not want to wait until christmas to start making beer, is there a 1 gallon recipe someone can point me to so I can use my one gallon equipment?

I guess I could just buy ingredients for a five gallon batch, and just use 1/5 of it, right? Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks

bjswift said:
Okay, I have been making Mead for about 8 months now, and had some pretty good results (only making 1 gallon batches). I want to make beer now, and am going to get a kit and equipment (for 5 gallon batches) for christmas from my wife. I do not want to wait until christmas to start making beer, is there a 1 gallon recipe someone can point me to so I can use my one gallon equipment?

I guess I could just buy ingredients for a five gallon batch, and just use 1/5 of it, right? Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks

well actually, I think steinfillers.com has some 1 gallon kits. the website sucks though, but as a supply shop they are good, in my experience anyways

The July-August edition of BYO magazine has an article on 1 gallon batches as well as some recipes.

basic brewing radio podcast and there website, james spencer the host does lots of gallon batches. Check that out and email him with any questions he usually gets back to people within a day

I wouldn't try to split a 5 gallon kit.

all you really need is a little Dry Malt Extract, a pack of yeast, and a little bag of hops.

I second that.. use the dry malt.
but I encourage you to do the 5 gallons because beer dissapears fast!!!!:mug:

Yes true. I am going to just be a good boy, and wait until santa brings me the equipment to make my first batch (5 gallon). Besides, that leaves me with more equipment for my mead! I haven't steped it up yet to five gallons for mead, but if I have equipment for 5 gallons of beer, I can do a 5 gallon mead batch! My wife will regret getting me beer kit, because for some odd reason she doesn't really support my alcohol making hobby.. I guess if I were able to make vodka and cranberry juice, she might support it a little more.

Ok, so thanks for your input!

You are, as a brewer, going to need "the Papazian". When you get it, current is third edition, there is the complete guide and the companion, check the index for "quarterbock". You will be making/fermenting 1 gallon of doppelbock, then cut it 3:1 with water and bottling 4 gallons of beer.

Mine was very tasty on bottling day about a week ago. If you start this weekend you will have your five gallon equipment in time to bottle this one, it is quicker than mead, but ...

Well she must support your habit/hobby a little bit...she DID get you a beer kit for christmas, and not an intervention or a month's pass to AA meetings ;)

it took my wife a while to come around and act more supportive. she really only helps me bottle and consume. everything else is a one-man-operation.

cheezydemon said:
Yeah, You will probably make the best beer you have ever had......only to be missing it the next day.

Quilty of that one! made a 1 galllon Helles to try the recipe prior to making 5 gallons worth.....Damn it was good...and gone fast.

Back