Quantcast

1 Gallon - Clean Out the Freezer Beer - Dark and Roasty - Hop Suggestion

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Brewbeeard

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be moving soon and want to use up what I have but not just throw it out. I am working on creating a 1 gallon recipe to use up the remaining grain I have on hand. This is my second ever recipe from the ground up, so I welcome feedback and suggestions. I realize this beer may not be that great, but I figure its better to try than to waste perfectly good grain. Below is what I have in Brewer's Friend so far. I particularly am struggling with the best hops (of what I have on hand) to use for this beer. Any suggestions on what hop would be best to use?

Thank you!
-
Brewbeeard

Fermentables (all the grain on hand)

• 408 g Finland - Chocolate Malt - 26.8% of grain bill total
  • 296 g German - CaraMunich I - 19.4% of grain bill total
  • 326 g Torrified Wheat - 21.4% of grain bill total
  • 495 g United Kingdom - Roasted Barley - 32.5% of grain bill total
Yeast
Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
OR
Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast

Hops?
I have the following hops on hand, enough quantity of each for a 1 gallon batch for sure.

• Amarillo
  • Cascade
  • Chinook
  • Citra
  • Domestic Hallertau
  • Hallertauer Tradition (Germany)
  • Hersbrucker
  • Millennium
  • Northern Brewer
  • Saaz
  • Tettnanger

Last edited:

WestMichBrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be moving soon and want to use up what I have but not just throw it out. I am working on creating a 1 gallon recipe to use up the remaining grain I have on hand. This is my second ever recipe from the ground up, so I welcome feedback and suggestions. I realize this beer may not be that great, but I figure its better to try than to waste perfectly good grain. Below is what I have in Brewer's Friend so far. I particularly am struggling with the best hops (of what I have on hand) to use for this beer. Any suggestions on what hop would be best to use?

Thank you!
-
Brewbeeard

Fermentables (all the grain on hand)

Yeast
Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
OR
Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast

Hops?
I have the following hops on hand, enough quantity of each for a 1 gallon batch for sure.

• Amarillo
  • Cascade
  • Chinook
  • Citra
  • Domestic Hallertau
  • Hallertauer Tradition (Germany)
  • Hersbrucker
  • Millennium
  • Northern Brewer
  • Saaz
  • Tettnanger
I would not brew this without some base malt. Using all the above is going to be a roast bomb.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
Hops are the least of your worries, you've got hardly any enzymes in there - I'd be tempted to double the volume and throw 2kg of pale malt in there.

Any hops are going to struggle in a background with so much speciality malt, I'd tend to just have some cheapish bittering at 60 and a bit of say Saaz as a 5 min addition.

Probably Nottingham to make sure that what carbohydrate gets released, gets fermented.