1 gallon brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajunbrewer14

Reaction score
Any one gallon brewers? I’m thinking of starting to do some 1 gallon brews. I find I can’t drink my 3-5 gallon batches quick enough. I think 1 gallon batches would be more enjoyable and I could brew more often.

I started off with a 1 gallon brew and was kinda sad when the entire batch was gone in 1 sitting (though it was shared with a couple friends).

Personally I think 2.5g is perfect. Nets about a case of beer, not too much, but not too little either. Though my batches disappear pretty quick. Mostly due to friends/family always wanting some lol.

1-gallon brewer here; I started with 1-gallon, all-grain brewing and never looked back. In my opinion, it is perfect for my circumstances, my space limitations and my "consumption rate." As an added bonus, I've gotten try literally dozens of recipes, from pre-packaged mixes to recipes on this forum to recipes that I have developed myself.

1-gallon brewer here; I started with 1-gallon, all-grain brewing and never looked back. In my opinion, it is perfect for my circumstances, my space limitations and my "consumption rate." As an added bonus, I've gotten try literally dozens of recipes, from pre-packaged mixes to recipes on this forum to recipes that I have developed myself.
exactly what i want. i cant experiment enough because i still have a case of brew im worn out on in the fridge

There is all kinds of information out there - plus, most (probably all) recipes for 5 gallons can be scaled down to 1 gallon. I've brewed everything from Kentucky Common to Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout, and have had a great time doing it. I am by no means an expert, but I am loving it.

As a suggestion, I'd recommend these three books, which are geared toward small-batch brewing and present a couple of different ways to go about it. The first two, from Brooklyn Brew Shop, have a myriad of great recipes and tips that are tailor-made for the small-batch brewer; they also write in a way that is very encouraging and inspiring, which is worth a lot in my book:

http://a.co/aiHA8qJ

http://a.co/6M14SQe

They are a bit pricey at BBS's website (www.brooklynbrewshop.com), but can be found for pennies at Amazon.

The second book is really awesome, as it comes at small-batch brewing from a different approach; in a lot of ways, it expands on what BBS will teach you, and allows you to break down the brewing process and learn to brew a few basic styles of beer (Pale Ale, Brown Ale, Hefeweizen, Stout, Porter, Saison, Barleywine, Scottish Ale, Abbey Ale and Pilsner):

http://a.co/4VC3jhU

I really can't recommend any book over the others, and believe that you would be pretty happy if you got all three of them.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Last edited:
Back