1 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever make any? I may begin to just to just for the heck of it. They'd have to be unique super limited editions, but just a thought. Maybe an IIPA or something.

I have siphoned off a gallon to add different additions to,

Coffee to a stout
some oak to an IPA
and cinnamon to an apfelwein

But brewing just a gallon is not in the cards for me, if I am going to commit to a brew day it is going to be at least a 5 gallons

that is how I do ultra limited editions

-Jason

1 gallon doesn't seem like it's worth the effort to me. I do some 3 gallon batches, which lets me do full boils on the stove, is easier to physically manage (less weight), and nets about 2 gallons of finished beer-- enough for 16 pints. I usually use a simple recipe, so the brewday is pretty short. It's a nice break from the usual brew session.

Plus, I can pitch a Wyeast Activator pack directly without doing a starter.

The guys over at Basic Brewing did a video podcast about small batch brewing. They called it "A Six-pack of IPA": Basic Brewing™ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Basic Brewing Video™ (look at the bottom of the page).

-Steve

I figure I could do something crazy or try something new like an American Stout I'm not sure I'd like without spending a day outside.

Back