1 gal Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmugMug

Reaction score
Anyone have a simple 1 gal recipe for apfelwein? My bro's new to the brew world and only has a couple of 1gal CR bottles. He's asked me to show him what to do but all I have are 5gal recipes which make it rather difficult to get the conversions accurate for a 1gal version.

1 gallon apple juice, 6.4 oz dextrose, Montrachet wine yeast.

FYI:
2 lbs * 16 oz / lb = 32 oz
32 oz / 5 = 6.4 oz

Do I need to measure out the yeast or can he just add the whole packet? Appreciate the help.

I started a 1 gallon batch a week ago, and I just added the packet of sugar the LHBS sells for priming. A bit under 6.4 oz, but that's ok with me. I only added half the packet of yeast, and it took off nicely. I'm saving the other half for the next batch. Not really sure why, cuz the yeast is super cheap.

when you taste it, just realize it can taste a lot better if you use a really good yeast. Other yeast won't give it the flavor of cheap white wine, other yeast also will allow the apple flavor to come through.

I started a 1 gallon batch a week ago, and I just added the packet of sugar the LHBS sells for priming. A bit under 6.4 oz, but that's ok with me. I only added half the packet of yeast, and it took off nicely. I'm saving the other half for the next batch. Not really sure why, cuz the yeast is super cheap.

use safale-05, nottinghame, or some 3068 next time. You will be suprised how good it is. it tastes nice in a matter of weeks, instead of waiting the one year.

use safale-05, nottinghame, or some 3068 next time. You will be suprised how good it is. it tastes nice in a matter of weeks, instead of waiting the one year.

I used Montrachet, which is what Edwort suggests. But if it speeds up the process AND tastes better, I'm all for it.

FWIW, the last time I used ale yeast in a cider, I found the results muddy and lackluster. Montrachet yields a crisp, dry beverage that does need some aging, but is well worth the wait.

Back