+1 for the blow off tube!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
Hey,
I just thought I would share that my blow off tube setup has paid off. After reading about and seeing pics of the horrible mess a blow off can make, I no longer use air locks in primaries.

I woke this morning and looked at my beer and one blow off tube was brown vs. clear. I looked in the collection bucket and there was a bit of discolored (like beer) water. I am 100% sure any standard airlock would have clogged and blown resulting in a huge mess, not to mention a pissed SWMBO.

For my blow off setup, I use 5/16 tubing pressed into the grommet of an ale pail lid; that loops into a 1 gallon food grade bucket with a small hole cut out of the lid on the edge, to hold a red line clip and the 5/16 tube. I put some starsan in the little bucket and make sure the blowoff tubes end is submerged. snap the lid on and I am all set.

The beer was an AG wheat. I wanted to thank everyone for that info and share this with others.

TGIF I am brewing again tonight.

:ban:

Yea, ya think? :rockin:

Blowoff_City.JPG

Back