1 base + 1 specialty + 1 hop + US05 = Good Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So if you wanted to brew an interesting and unique beer, but were limited to ONE base and ONE character malt from the list below, along with any SINGLE hop variety of your choice, what would you do? Fermented with neutral US05 yeast.

a) It's not a SMaSH, so a character malt must be included with your base, and it must have a noticeable contribution in your finished beer.
b) Single infusion mash, but you can manipulate temperature for desired body/sweetness.
c) You can also adjust water profile to highlight hops, malt, or go for a balanced profile.
d) If its good, I'm totally stealing your idea and brewing it.

BASE (at least 70%):
Maris Otter
Domestic Pale 2 Row

CHARACTER (up to 30%):
Pale Wheat
Chocolate
Black Patent
Peated Malt
Melanoidin
Victory
Munich
Rye
Carapils
Vienna

EDIT (02JUN2015): If your base or specialty of choice isn't on the list above, feel free to include it.

Simple APA(using MO, though i prefer Vienna as a base for this)

Grain:
9lb M.O.
2lb Pale wheat

Boil.
60 min. 0.75oz northern brewer
10 min. 1oz Northern brewer
5 min. 1 oz Northern brewer

As long as you do 80% 2 row, have decent sanitary practices, have enough hops to deliver dry-hopping... it doesn't' matter what you do. You'll simply fall into some category or another of beer.

So the question is, what do you want out of your beer?

IPA

2 row (97%)
Munich (3%)

Amarillo hops

That's what I was going to say!

Some of the best beers have grainbills that are very simple- 90% two row, and 10% crystal malt, for example, in a traditional pale ale.

My favorite IPA recipe is 97% US two row, and 3% amber malt, but I've done it with 3% victory instead and that was just as good.

That's what I was going to say!

Some of the best beers have grainbills that are very simple- 90% two row, and 10% crystal malt, for example, in a traditional pale ale.

My favorite IPA recipe is 97% US two row, and 3% amber malt, but I've done it with 3% victory instead and that was just as good.

Yep, hell....I like it even simpler.

90% 2 row
10% pilsner

Amarillo

I make a 9%ABV IPA with this recipe. Crowd pleaser, and a demand for summer tap space. Fun to watch it sneak up on guests....

:mug:

90% Maris Otter
10% Melanoidin

To an OG of about 1.060.

Cluster hops to about 35 IBUs with a small dry-hop (maybe an ounce or so?).

Wow, tons of great ideas. Just to throw out a weird one:

98.5% MO
1.5% Peated Malt
Magnum @ 60 to 30 IBU
Mash high and adjust water for malty finish.

Wow, tons of great ideas. Just to throw out a weird one:

98.5% MO
1.5% Peated Malt
Magnum @ 60 to 30 IBU
Mash high and adjust water for malty finish.

That sounds very interesting. I know the peated malt will give a smokiness, but how would you describe the influence of the Magnum?

Edit: I see now that you just have a bittering addition for the magnum. Sounds good!

Did this one recently and it's malty and tasty.

91% 2-Row (or pale malt of personal preference)
9% Chocolate Malt
Cascade at 60 min and 10 min.

Ha a dude named Jim at my local home brew got me on this and I love it, 50/50 2 row and white wheat. Mosaic and us05. Delicious beer.

Looks like a great (& easy) Baltic Porter! *goes to recipe notebook*

:rockin:

Have had a few more bottles of this recently and have decided that when I brew this one again (which I definitely will) I will cut the chocolate malt back a bit, probably to about 5-6%. It is tasty as is though.

So that'll be
94-5% 2-Row
5-6% Chocolate
Cascade at 60 min and 10 min.

93% Maris Otter
7% Crystal 40
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.30 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 9.1 IBUs
0.35 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 10.0 IBUs
0.40 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 8.8 IBUs
0.45 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.4 IBUs

Kick ass brew

This is a great idea. Esspecially for us beginners. Keep it simple.

My House Pale is 90% US 2-Row and 10% Red Wheat. Mash at 154*

I've used cascades, columbus, centennial, amarillo, nelson sauvin, mosaic, galaxy and more in various iterations of this brew (single hopped).

I know that for my system and efficiency, 10# grain in a 5.5gal batch will give me a 1.050 OG and US-05 at 65* will take it down to 1.012

Guaranteed brain dead simple tasty brew.

17 # 2 row
6 # vienna

1 oz Hallertau FWH
1 oz Hallertau 40 min.
1 oz Hallertau 20 min.
1 oz Hallertau 10 min.

US05 @ 64 -65

OG 1.055
FG 1.012

13 gal boil 11.5 gal batch

mash @ 156 F

IBU 25 SRM 4.34

nice drinking yellow beer for the summer

My House Pale is 90% US 2-Row and 10% Red Wheat. Mash at 154*

I've used cascades, columbus, centennial, amarillo, nelson sauvin, mosaic, galaxy and more in various iterations of this brew (single hopped).

I know that for my system and efficiency, 10# grain in a 5.5gal batch will give me a 1.050 OG and US-05 at 65* will take it down to 1.012

Guaranteed brain dead simple tasty brew.

what's your favorite combo?

Back