1/6 torpedo style kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick-up a couple of the 7.75 gallon torpedo style kegs for almost nothing. Is anyone using them to keg? How difficult is it to use. I don't have enough corny kegs and this would be far cheaper.

I use them and actually prefer them to cornies. I believe "Clutchdude" has an excellent write up regarding reinstalling the spiral ring once they are filled. Clean as you would a carboy, fill, seal and enjoy? The 1/4 keg (7.75) gallon is a nice batch size.

Found it....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/installing-retaining-ring-sanke-keg-64128/

Removal of the spiral ring is easier, just carefully use a sharp small flat screwdriver as shown in this video by Yuri Rage. Just be careful and don't bend the spiral ring, or reinstalling it will be almost impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the opportunity to pick-up a couple of the 7.75 gallon torpedo style kegs for almost nothing. Is anyone using them to keg? How difficult is it to use. I don't have enough corny kegs and this would be far cheaper.

Just to clarify, the thread title said "1/6 torpedo style kegs" a 1/6 barrel keg is closer to 5 gallon than 7.75 gallon. I've seen pictures of tall 1/4 barrel kegs which would be 7.75 gallon, but even working at a liquor store with a pretty good volume of keg business I've never seen a tall 1/4 barrel in real life. Just wanted to be sure which you mean.

The dude selling them said they were 1/6 barrel, but I am now convinced that they must be pony kegs, meaning 1/4 barrel.

You could also use them as 7.75 gallon fermenters. Remove the stem, use a stopper and airlock, or just a piece of aluminum foil if that suits you.

Back