1.5x IPA recipe audit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorneuron

Reaction score
Hey guys--

I'm going to be brewing a not-quite-double IPA next week, and I'm looking for some quick feedback. My goal here is to focus on the hops, so I'm not going for either a lot of caramel or a blast of alcohol. I'm also trying to make something that isn't quite as dank as some of the insane double IPAs (which, don't get me wrong, I also enjoy). I've just been on a clean profile kick lately, and I want to try that as applies to a fairly strong IPA. So I've picked the classic Cascade/Centennial combo, plus El Dorado, with Summit for bittering only. Other hops I have on hand: Columbus; Chinook; Willamette.

Whatever else I do, I would like a fairly dry finish here. I don't want to go north of 1.014, and ideally I'd be at more like 1.010. This is why I'm including only a small amount of crystal, mashing fairly low, and using a little sugar.

Here goes.

Malice Aforethought, not-quite-double IPA
OG: 1.073
FG: ~1.010
~8% ABV
5 SRM
142 calculated IBUs

FERMENTABLES
10 lbs US 2-row
2 lbs UK 2-row
.25 lbs US 40L
.25 lbs biscuit
.25 lbs carapils
.5 lbs sucrose

Mash at 148-150F.

60 minute boil.

HOPS
2 oz Summit pellets (18% AA) @ 60 mins (96 IBUs)
1 oz each of Cascade (~7%), Centennial (~10%), and El Dorado (~16%) pellets @ 15 mins (~45 IBUs total)
1 oz each of Cascade, Centennial, and El Dorado @ whirpool
1 oz each of Cascade, Centennial, and El Dorado @ dry hop

Cool. Pitch Conan, if my culturing goes well this weekend, or US-05, if not. Ferment in mid-60s.

looks pretty delicious. hoping you get that conan culture worked out. US-05 never attenuates for me.

Latest posts

Back