1/4th Keg keggle conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevec118

Reaction score
Well a buddy of mine just gave me a empty 1/4th keg for a keggle converion. I just ordered a weldless ballvalve from bargainfittings.com. I'm planning on using this for my new brew pot. Anyone else use this setup? I'm upgrading from my paper thin 8 gallon aluminum kettle. How well does this work with 5 gallon batches

JMO, I think you would be better served to either use the keg for serving, or get the deposit back and use the money toward a 10 gallon kettle.

Well a buddy of mine just gave me a empty 1/4th keg for a keggle converion. I just ordered a weldless ballvalve from bargainfittings.com. I'm planning on using this for my new brew pot. Anyone else use this setup? I'm upgrading from my paper thin 8 gallon aluminum kettle. How well does this work with 5 gallon batches

I usually make my batches 5.5 gallons going into the fermenter so I end up somewhere just above 5 gallons going into the keg. That means my pre boil volume is around 6.9 gallon. Do I want to build 6.9 gallons in a 7.25 gallon pot......NOPE. Get a half barrel. You'll be much happier!:mug:

Is it a tall quarter barrel or a pony keg? If it's a full height, it's a bad proportionality for most gas burners. Also, the tighter curve of the smaller diameter would make it harder to get the weldless fittings to seal.

If you don't have a choice, I'm sure with enough effort it could work, any port in a storm as they say. If you know someone returning a full keg from the same brewery, you might be able to have them pull a fast one and return the 7.75 in its place. I know my local brewery doesn't keep track of the sizes for deposit purposes. You'll be much happier with a 15.5. You'd be dealing with a stolen keg, so follow your own moral compass, but you'd hardly be alone in that respect.

Most breweries wind up with unserviceable damaged kegs from normal business. A friend got two that the coupler flange was smashed, which was perfect because that's the part you cut off to make a keggle. You might be able to get one of those for way less than the cost of a deposit.

Back