1/4" barb with a 3/16" line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
So I just ordered some Perlick faucets only to realize that the fittings are 1/4" where as my beer line is 3/16". Will I be able to cram the line on the fitting?

I do this all the time...when I first started I thought that is what you are suppose to do to make sure nothing leaks

Yup it will work and and be leak proof , the clamp will just be insurance. I heat up a coffee cup with water int he microwave till it boils. Then I just dip the end of the 3/16 line in the water for about 15 seconds. Then it goes on the barb like butter.

Ditto to adding line into boiling water. Goes on the barb with little resistance. I don't use hose clamps for any lines setup this way.

A trick I learned is to use a hair dryer. Its quicker than boiling and just as effective. After blowing hot air on it for 30 seconds it went on like a charm.

I originally used 1/4" lines for gas and had problems with leaking, a perpetual pain in the rear. Now I use 3/16" beer line on 1/4" barbs for both beer and gas. It's only a pain once. I just ordered new micromatic regulators for my new kegerator and the barb is 3/8". I was trying to figure out how to make that work until I realized I can just swap the shutoff valves and barbs from my old regulators onto the new ones.

Back