1/2" stainless racking cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd recommend seamless tubing so it's easier to clean the interior, 304 is fine. The OD will be the same regardless of wall thickness. The thinner the wall the more flow you'll get through it but the less clamping pressure you would be able to apply. I've used .020 wall without problems before. If you think you'll ever weld something to it or it to something then get .035 wall.

Good luck bending it if you don't have a tubing bender. A 1/2" tubing bender that will handle stainless will cost about $100.

Tom

I'm actually looking for something straight; no bend necessary.

I use a lot of .5 x .035" SS tubing and that would work very well for a racking cane. It's stiff enough that it won't bend easily but still light weight. Those are good prices BTW.

Tom

If you have any industrial supply companies nearby (fluid connector products) they should have that SS tubing for half that price and no shipping. The company near me cut some pieces for me and I needed 90 degree bends which they did for me pretty quickly. This assumes they have some short scrap pieces lying around as you might not want to be buying a 20ft stick. Fluid connector products in Portland is like a candy store for a beer hobbyist. Need to stay away from that place and all its shiny stainless parts.

Back