1/2 Coconut Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgm101990

Reaction score
This is only my second batch. I got a Bavarian Hefeweizen kit. It has 6.6lb Wheat LME, Hallertau hops 1oz, and the yeast is safbrew WB-06.

My goal is to secondary ferment half and add one lb of coconut flakes. Bottle the other half. I think it would be neat to compare the differences as a newb. I also thought about adding 1/2 oz Tettnang finishing hops.

Just curious of any comments anyone had. Thanks, Matt

I have been doing alot of looking around recently as I am about to try coconut myself. The issue seems to be that it is very oily and as such, will kill any head retention that you may be hoping for. The common practice seems to be toasting the coconut (about 350 until it turns golden from what I've seen) to reduce the oils in it and try to bring out the flavor. I'm not sure how well extra toast works into a Hefe though.

Like I said, I as of yet, have not used it, this is just the info that I have found in several places. Good luck, I am interested to see how it works out for you!

Back