1/2 BBL Conical Fermenter Volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boobajoob

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew 3 full corneys per batch, so figured a 1/2 BBL conical would fit this nicely. I see that SS Brewtech's holds 17gal and Spike's holds 18gal. I'm wondering how well that works when you factor in high krassen. Is there enough room with 15gal liquid plus yeast/hop material and then the krassen? I've only brewed 5gal batches and have seen it get pretty large. Does it's height/size scale up as well? I know pressure can help keep it smaller or I could use a blow off, but I'd like to not need to worry about it either.

If anyone here has some experience maxing out their 1/2BBL conical's I'd like to hear about it. I'd prefer to go 1 bbl and just know I have room (and maybe make some extra for bottling) but the price jump is pretty dramatic.

Thanks!

With the conicals you can control how much krausen you get by fermenting with even a small amount of pressure (as little as 5psi IME).

For the conical dimensions, I looked at the Spike drawings file I have. The CF10 and CF15 are the same diameter. CF15 is just taller in the body to add more capacity.

Take a look at what Brewers Hardware also offers. I plan to get their 15 gallon conical (jacketed version) when it's available again.

Personally, I don't like how the chill coil for the SS Brew Tech conical goes through the side wall. IMO, it's a place for things to either grow, or for a seal to fail and make a mess (plus you'll lose beer). I'd rather have the coil like Spike does, or go with a jacketed conical where it's not any issue at all. While I DO like some of the things SS Brew Tech produces (like their spunding valves) I can't see ever getting one of their conicals.

With the conicals you can control how much krausen you get by fermenting with even a small amount of pressure (as little as 5psi IME).

For the conical dimensions, I looked at the Spike drawings file I have. The CF10 and CF15 are the same diameter. CF15 is just taller in the body to add more capacity.

Take a look at what Brewers Hardware also offers. I plan to get their 15 gallon conical (jacketed version) when it's available again.

Personally, I don't like how the chill coil for the SS Brew Tech conical goes through the side wall. IMO, it's a place for things to either grow, or for a seal to fail and make a mess (plus you'll lose beer). I'd rather have the coil like Spike does, or go with a jacketed conical where it's not any issue at all. While I DO like some of the things SS Brew Tech produces (like their spunding valves) I can't see ever getting one of their conicals.

Yea I'm not sold on SS conicals either. I like the Spike concials (even tho I'm seen some reviews about issues hold pressure) but I wish they made 20gal sizes. 1/2bbl I almost feel is just going to be tight and 1bbl is too much.

I do see Brewers has 20 gal fermentors so I'll have a look at those. What sells you on a jacketed conical vs a coil for glycol?

@Boobajoob I have two CF10 fermenters now and the coil can get in the way at times. Plus it takes up space. I'm also looking to see how the jacket model differs in either temperature control/maintaining or reducing temperatures for yeast harvest and carbonating. Spike tells you to change the in/out flow direction depending on if you're above, or under, 40F for your target. I typically carbonate at either 36F or 38F. Which means I need to change the flow direction once fermentation, and yeast harvesting, is done and I want to carbonate the batch.

I plan to try out the jacketed conical to see how I like it. Most of the larger conical fermenters I see are jacketed (for actual brewery use).

The lid on the Spike is a bit of a hassle to put back on. With it being three linked sections, it's more work than it could be. You also have to be sure to install the gasket correctly too (chamfered side down) or it can have issues sealing fully. That was the only time I had any issues with either one sealing 100%. I do wish their racking arms came with a longer indicating piece, not just a nub. I got one from Stout Tanks for one of the CF10's and it's working well. I do like the gas manifold setup they offer, as long as they thread all three holes. The carb stone setup is also solid. I actually have the cider carbonating with that right now.

I'd also recommend putting the bottom dump valve directly on the ferrule (on the cone), not after the 90 degree elbow. That allows you to connect up a yeast brink easily for either harvest or infusion. I've used that enough times to like it a lot more than using a fitting with tubing on it to harvest yeast. Plus you don't lose about 8oz to the elbow.

I routinely do 15 gallon (kegged) batches in Spike CF15. I aim for 18.5+ gallons in the kettle post boil, 17.5+ gallons to the fermentor. I'll dump about 0.75 gallons getting rid of yeast before dry hopping. Then another gallon or so before kegging. I keg onto a scale and transfer 41 pounds of beer into each keg and usually manage to fill all three depending on how much dry hop I used. My typical dry hop rates for full batches are 0.5 - 1.0 pounds (1-2 pounds per barrel) but I've gone as high as 2 pounds (4 pounds per barrel) but pretty sure I ended about a gallon light into the kegs on that batch.

I don't use a coil for cooling (fermentor in a standup freezer for me). That saves the 4" TC port for my O2 free dry hopper.
I don't bother fermenting under pressure. I use a blow off tube attached to the 1.5" TC port and maybe 1 batch in 4 I will get some yeast that manages to blow off into my growler of water. Once fermentation slows down I swap the blow off tube for the manifold with a spunding valve and finish fermenting at about 3-5 psi but this is past the point where you would be trying to control krausen.

Having used if for a while I am a fan of the lid on the Spike. I never have issue getting a good seal. It makes cleaning the most difficult parts of the unit very easy. (the krausen ring, the lid itself, and the ports in the lid are hardest to clean because the krausen that does reach these spots is above the beer and drys enough to get pretty sticky). I do use CIP but only trust it once the fermentor is visibly clean.

I have a 26gal conical from MoreBeer's house brand. I purchased the SS blowoff tube to tri-clamp assembly, and always have to run a blow off tube into a bucket of starsan. The amount of co2 a ~20g ferment generates is pretty awesome. The nice thing with a fermentor in this size is that you can use a CIP ball in the top, and rarely have to actually open it. The more you open it, the faster those gaskets go bad.

I got this unit on sale pre-pandemic. It's been good, but the welds are rough looking. I'm not sure I'd buy this unit again; thinking I like the Spike products better.

Back