1/2 Barrell Uses???

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mcaustin

Reaction score
Ok guys, I know that the standard answer here will be to make a keggle, but SWMBO just bought me an 8 gal SS kettle for my birthday last month, and my friend just dropped off a Sanke keg at my house yesterday afternoon. He had offered it to me quite a while ago, well before I got the kettle from SWMBO.

So now, I'm in the process of figuring out what to do with it since I now have a kettle that really is big enough for my 5 gallon batches. I just started with all grain batches, and so also just got a 48 qt mash tun.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Austin

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
Well, you can use one or the other as a HLT. Typically I think you would use the larger one as the kettle.

You can also use it as a MLT, but you said you just got a cooler for that.

I guess the last option is as a fermenter. I think there are some DIY threads on this.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Convert the keg into a keggle. No boilover worries. Ever.

Use the 8-gallon kettle as a HLT if you fly sparge. If you batch, it's a good size for heating your sparge water.

Or, you now have options if you want to explore building a direct-fired mash tun.

Personally, though, I *love* my keggle. I would never think about using an 8-gallon pot in its place.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
the_bird said:

Use the 8-gallon kettle as a HLT if you fly sparge. If you batch, it's a good size for heating your sparge water.

Or, you now have options if you want to explore building a direct-fired mash tun.

Personally, though, I *love* my keggle. I would never think about using an 8-gallon pot in its place.
Yup. I boiled over in an 11 gallon pot (now my HLT).

Make something like this badboy with all your new kettles:

http://powersbrewery.com/

Todd

Reaction score
the_bird said:

My keggle just boiled over with 6.5 gallons of wort in it. had to mention it. :mug:

gnef

Reaction score
haha. i know the feeling. i use foam control in the boil, as well as during fermentation now too.

Nehoc

Reaction score
I'll be tackling a 1/2 barrel project this weekend, converting it to a HLT. I already have the stack of sawzall blades and very nice earplugs ready to go. I'll be making a trip to my local welding shop to put in a female fitting though, just easier in all ways than dealing with weldless fittings.

-Nehoc

OP
mcaustin

mcaustin

Reaction score
Update:

I'm building the keggle, and will be using my 8 gal pot to heat sparge water :mug:

The also means that I have to build a new frame for my turkey fryer burner since the keg doesn't fit too well on top of the turkey fryer. Went ahead and picked up a venturi (from the $4 wortwizzard thread) and will be building my CFC soon.

I guess what all this means is that the brewery is temporarily closed for upgrades! Guess it's a good thing that I have 2 batches on tap and one ready for secondary :cross:

Austin