1/2 barrel system ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RasMouSein

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good day people!!

So the story is, imma slowly upgrade my system to properly fill three keg, and my new to me 1/2 barrel (17gals) chronical fermenter.

I always felt the keggle was a bit tight even for my 10 gallon batch, so I'd upgrade that one first.

The question is what size kettle would you recommend people ? Thinking between 20 or 30 gallons, as those are the most common around the size needed.

Tri-clad worth it ?
200 vs 304 ??

Thanks for reading and helping with your thoughts on the matter.

Have a nice day.

My preboil volume is 20 gallons. Plenty of room but I will use a couple drops of defoamer just to be sure.

I like to leave about 2 gallons of trub and hops in the kettle. That little ledge designed into the Spike kettle works great and I've been pretty happy with ability to whirlpool a decent hop cone. Before I got my conical I was doing half barrel in a spiedel tank and that only fit 16 gallons. My conical holds closer to 18 and I am trying to get at least 17 in there. I am still figuring that out but last brew what I did was sparged to 20 gallons in the brew kettle and then continued collecting another couple gallons in a side kettle. I threw that on a burner and let it boil and then added some "top up boiled wort" to the main kettle near the end of the boil. I ended up with about 19 gallons in the kettle at end of boil, this shrunk with chilling to 18.5 and I got just about 17 gallons into the fermentor.

I could probably boil 21 gallons in the Spike but my garage floor is sloped enough that I'd be uncomfortably close to the rim on the downhill side.

I have the 20G BrewEasy and do 15G batches. I really like it. It’s a 30G BK and 30G MLT. Room to do a 20G batch if I want. With a little patience you can find these pop up for sale used and they are pretty reasonable for a 1/2bbl+ system...IMHO.

Finding good ~17g fermenters Has been tricky but I’ve pretty much just resigned myself to using 3 bucket fermenters. It does give me the opp to play with different yeast, dry hops, and other things...so not all bad news.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back