1/2 barrel keg as fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancho

Reaction score
I've got three 5 gal batches of RIS finishing up their primary fermentation. I plan on putting them into a 15 gallon keg.

Here's my question...how do I sanitize this thing?!!! I'm planning on dropping a gallon of StarSan into it and shake the poop out of it.

Any other ideas?

If you have a propane burner you can put some water in it and boil away. That will sanitize it real nice. I'm an electric brewer so I put a gallon of star-san in it, cap it with a 2" tri clover cap, and shake the poop out of it. It works just fine if it is clean and does not have any beer stone in it. I have one keg with beer stone in the bottom that infected a batch of beer.

I've got three 5 gal batches of RIS finishing up their primary fermentation. I plan on putting them into a 15 gallon keg.

Here's my question...how do I sanitize this thing?!!! I'm planning on dropping a gallon of StarSan into it and shake the poop out of it.

Any other ideas?
I'd think your plan will work fine. Boiling will work, too. I'd do which ever suits you best.

Here's how I've sanitized my Sankes

I ferment in 15.5 gal. Sankes. After I rack out of the keg, I'll rinse all of the solids out. Then fill w/hot water and sodium percarbonate. This removes all of the krausen. I'll rinse again then dump StarSan in and swirl a few times trying to get the StarSan in contact with all surfaces. Dump the StarSan and cover with foil until I'm ready to use it again. This has been my method for approximately 1500 gallon w/o contamination.

I traded some mead for this keg so I don't know what it has/had in it. Is sod. percarbonate, oxyclean? will it remove beer stone? I don't know if there is any in the keg.

Yes, percarbonate is the active ingredient in oxyclean.

Hot water and oxy should remove any organically occurring soil.

Back