1.083 dipa stuck at 1.035???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApertureBrewing

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some help on this? This is pretty weird. I pitched onto a crap ton of S05 from a previous batch. This recipe is a Pliny the younger clone. Almost 13 gallons! Temperature control is automated and has maintained at 68 degrees the entire time. Ferm seems to be stuck at 1.035 or so (around 6.4%; should be around 9)

It been about 3 weeks in the conical now. Should I dump some yeast from the cone and repitch in the top? Any advice would be appreciated! Im sure I'm forgetting something...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

32# 2 row
2.25# carapils
1.21# c40
3.5# dextrose @ 10 min

Mashed at 145 for 75 min
Raised to 155 for 25 min
Mashout at 168

Maybe I'm off in my temps from what I thought? That's all I can think of.

What do you think? 70? 72? Seems like pushing it...

I have a DIPA right now that is fermenting very slow. I raised it to 75 a few days ago and also swirled the carboy to get the yeast back in suspension and it is working. I wouldn't worry too much about the temp because your flavor profile is set, raising it shouldn't give you any off flavors at this point. I would try maybe 72 and if that gets them going you can scale it back down.

Try using a hydrometer. Refractometers aren't accurate after fermentation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

A Refractometer will not give an accurate reading after fermentation has begun. Once alcohol is present in the liquid a mathmatical correction must be applied, The formula is displayed below, Here is a link to an online calculator. For this reason it may be helpful to stick with the good 'ol hydrometer for pre-and post ferment readings until you are confident in your refractometer readings.

From http://www.homebrewstuff.com/refractometer-how-to

But alas!!! You appear to be right!! 1.009, drink up mates!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388721741.335067.jpg

I can't believe it never occurred to me that is what was happening.. I should have thought of that. Good call guys. Maybe it's not calibrated properly. I'll have to check on that. I did read the articles about how refractometer works post ferm, but I also read some that say it depends on what kind, etc. looks like you did the same google search I did.

Converting unfermented wort using a Plato to SG calculator is OK.. for OG. The problem is using the same calculator to convert FG Plato to SG. Not knowing your actual Plato numbers, I'll guess that you started at 20.2P and ended at 9P if you applied a calculator for fermented wort (beer) you would end up at 1.009. Beersmith as well as Sean Terrill have calculators for this. http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

Converting unfermented wort using a Plato to SG calculator is OK.. for OG. The problem is using the same calculator to convert FG Plato to SG. Not knowing your actual Plato numbers, I'll guess that you started at 20.2P and ended at 9P if you applied a calculator for fermented wort (beer) you would end up at 1.009. Beersmith as well as Sean Terrill have calculators for this. http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

THIS is exactly what I didn't do. Thanks!

I don't get it?

This was a triumph!
I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCCESS!!

It's hard to overstate
my satisfaction.

Aperture Science:
We do what we must
because we can
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.

Last edited by a moderator: