1.064 IPA stuck fermentation? Bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

web250

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I brewed an IPA a couple weeks ago, OG 1.064 from 6 lb of light dme, and 3 pounds of two-row, 40L, carapils.

Pitched US-05, and now I'm down to about 1.022. Is my fermentation stuck? Can I bottle without risk of bottle bombs? Or do I need to do something to re-start fermentation?

Thank you.

It could be done. Extract beers tend to end a little higher than all-grain, and depending on how much caramel and carapils you used and at what temperature you mashed it at, the yeast might have eaten up everything they can.

What I would do is raise the temperature as much as you can - at least into the 70s, 80s would be great - and give the beer a good rousting, shake it up good to get the yeast back in suspension. Give it another week or two and take another gravity reading. If the gravity has gone down a little, then leave it be and give it another two weeks and measure it again. If the gravity doesn't change, then go ahead and bottle. Does all of that make sense?

It's probably done if its been 3 weeks. That's not great attenuation but is within the range of 'done'. Fermentability of DME is hard to tell.

What was your process for the grains? Can you clarify quantity each of the 2-row, C40 and CPils?

Latest posts

Back