1.02 too sugary to bottle safely?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
I brewed a beer with some friends and we bottled it a few days ago. I didnt have my hydrometer with me then, so i saved some and did a reading later on. it was up at 1.02 (~3% potential). It had not been very active, maybe bubble every 20-30 seconds or so for a coupla days, so I figured it would be fine to bottle, but I'm having doubts.

Any thoughts?

It tastes fine, if a little sweet, with lots of mouthfeel (almost thick)

p.s. it's a deep chocolate stout. Also, these guys don't drink a bunch, and usually when they do drink they only have one or two.

Mike.

MUST know original gravity, or the recipe so we can calculate the OG. 1.020 might be fine...or it might be a bottle bomb.

how long did it ferment for total? If there was any airlock activity I think it is a mistake but the hydrometer is the real test.

Instead of posting my own thread, since this topic comes up quite regularly, I will seek my reasurance from this tread. :) I brewed up a batch of Brewer's Best Micro American Style Pale Ale (Extract) on May 6th (My first batch). My OG was right at 1.050 wich is the middle of the approximate starting gravity range. I pitched the packet of dry yeast that came with the kit, I'm not sure of the brand :( . Fermenting activity was not visible via airlock for aproximatly 36 hours. 5 days later (7 days after pitching) May 14th the gravity had fallen to 1.020, and airlock activity has stopped. I reinstalled the lid and gave the bucket a good swirl to rouse the little guys doing all of the work. I would check every so many hours for visible activity, not really expecting to see any, and I did not. I checked the gravity again last night and we are still at 1.020 (+/- .005).

Am I asking for trouble if I move to bottle by the middle to end of this week? Or should I just continue to wait? Or third option is to move to secondary for clearing. I have a hefe I would like to get into the fermentor so it will be ready by buddy's wedding in mid June. Suggestions?

Remember, airlock activity or lack thereof is NOT a sign of fermentation or lack thereof. DO GRAVITY READINGS :) If your gravity stays at 1.020 or any value for 3 consecutive days, then you're almost positive fermentation is done. You can bottle.

Back