1.006 final at 74 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robfromshasta

Reaction score
Wow. This is my fifth batch I've done. I've done a few Pilsner Home Brewing kits, and a few of those cheap Munton's kits, and this one started at 1.045 and ended up at 1.006. The others have all ended up at about 1.014 or 1.012. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that unlike the bottled Arrowhead I used the other times, I used our local tap water this time. The airlock was certainly busy for two weeks...

What's the lowest readings you guys have ever ended up with a final? This was an American Light Beer kit.

Here's the pic

one point oh oh six.jpg

That's typical for a light beer. On my light lagers (for BMC friends) I shoot for anything below 10 and usually hit 5-9. 6 is really good for a extract kit. I'm assuming it is extract. I typically have to do all grain to get below 10 without using some amylase.

What was the grain bill?

The label says as follows:

Solids: 80-82%
Colour EBC: Up to 9
Bitterness EBU: 18-27

The instructions didn't give any additional information about it than that.

I tasted the sample i used for the measurement, and it was good. A bit sweet, but I noticed in my other batches when I tasted my measurement samples it was like that too but went away after two weeks in the bottle.

That's typical for a light beer. On my light lagers (for BMC friends) I shoot for anything below 10 and usually hit 5-9. 6 is really good for a extract kit. I'm assuming it is extract. I typically have to do all grain to get below 10 without using some amylase.

Good deal. I think you're right, and I just got lucky with a healthy yeast and keeping the temperature constant.

I followed some advice from the home brew store I bought this kit and my other kits from is to pour the wort back and forth between buckets several times before fermenting to aireate the wort first. I guess yeast likes oxygen. I'm gonna do that in the future if it seems to help.

Oh, and yes, it's an extract kit. I'm still new to this, this is only my fifth batch. My next kit is a custom one from from the store I buy from though, an "Easy Blonde Ale", and it will be my first time using steeping grains and a yeast nutrient.

I plan on taking this slow, and not getting into all grain yet. I want to get really good at this extract brewing first and feel real comfortable with it before I advance to that stage. I'm 44, and learned over the years that taking your time and doing it right is better than trying too hard too fast. So far, I've had batches my friends all like and no bad batches yet (knock on wood)

Back