1.001 Fg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase

Reaction score
Belgian Golden Strong. Starting gravity 1.074. Based on Jamil's recipe. It got stuck at 1.030 with WLP 570 and I added a packet of notty. It finished at 1.001.:eek: Tastes fine (but young, flat and warm) but I'm a little worried there was something else going on with it. Anyone ever had a beer finish that low?

6 lb sugar for a 10 gallon batch and mashed at 149. I always finish pretty dry do i wouldn't be terribly surprised if my thermometer is off by 2 degrees or so

Funny thing is one 5 gallon fermentor didnt stall and finished at 1.007 (perfect!). the otehr 5 gallon batch I had some issues with the yeast and didnt pitch the right amount, probably resulting in the stall and my subsequent pitch of the notty yeast.

It is certainly weird that notty took it that far. But as long as there is no infection then no worries, right? I would like to try a beer that strong that finishes that dry.

I'm with you in that my beers always finish pretty dry. I can generally count on them to be 2 - 3 points lower than BeerSmith estimates. It is so regular that I plan for it and take it into account when planning my recipe.

My Golden Triple finished at 008 and it is just a fantastic beer.

EDIT: Just noticed that you used 6 lbs sugar for the 10G. That is going to produce one frickin dry beer. I would expect a beer in my fermenter to come out at 003- 004 with that much sugar on a 074 OG. Maybe even lower. Yeah, I think you have no worries at all except that the beer might taste a little sharp or cidery when conditioned.

Just a silly idea that I'm sure you've already thought of. But have you checked to see if your hydrometer is reading correctly?

You added all of the sugar during the boil didnt you? That would be your mistake. Second mistake was too much sugar.

i brewed this same recipe. As a matter of fact i am drinking one of them right now. I added half of the sugar in the boil and then when the ferment was slowing down I added the rest. This really helps dry it out and it wont finish too low. I didnt need to pitch anymore yeast.

yes. It seemed like a lot of sugar. but I followed jamil's recipe which was supposed to be a clone of duvel. Only thing left to do now is let it sit for 6 months and then see what it tastes like:mug:

Back