1.00000 - Any explanation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just bottled a tripel that smells great and tastes a bit alcohol heavy but not bad.

But when I checked the final gravity, I was very surprised to see the hydrometer at 1.00000 (pic below).

I first thought 'infection', but it tastes normal-ish (just dry, tripel bordering onto white wine). Second thought, cross-contamination with a var.dias yeast (I have used several recently).

Any other explanations?

Based on last sample/hydro test, I expected it to be dry (just not 1.00000), so I added some lactose and orange peel to the priming solution (to cut the dryness). So I think it will still be drinkable, but I'm usually nowhere below 1.008. So 1.00000 is weird and a bit concerning.

I appreciate any thoughts. (OG 1.061; 9 days primary; 7 days secondary; closed transfers; cold crash 2 days; yeast - unknown - whatever Brewferm includes in their Tripel kit (which was on sale for $15!!) & I added more 'stuff', including a LOT of sugar, honey, and brown sugar - so maybe I just alcohol bombed it & thinned it out).

Thanks!!!!

8C08C283-AC51-45E2-B415-5C306EC405C5.jpeg

Last edited:

bjhbrew

Reaction score
I don’t really have an answer other than that I believe the reading should be taken at the bottom of the meniscus. Now it’s hard to tell in the photo because of the bubbles present but I would read that as 1.002 or maybe even 1.004 - still dry but more believable I’d say. Also, did you take into account the temperature? On my hydrometer the chart says that for every 10f from the calibration temp to correct by .0013 so if you fermented really warm maybe that brings you up to 1.006. Idk I’m really just spitballing here.

DuncB

Reaction score
Agreed looks like a reading of 1.000 + because of the meniscus.
Is brewferm an extract kit?

If you added a lot of hops then you could have got a distaticus effect from hop creep.

As the yeast is unknown some of those belgian yeasts are very hungry yeasts and will burn through all the short and long sugars.

Last edited:

day_trippr

Reaction score
Dunno about what caused the uber low FG, but wouldn't a triple be expected to be heavy on the ABV?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Diastaticus infection. Go nuclear with your sanitation routine, it's a PITA to get rid of, forms a biofilm. Soapy sponge or brush on every surface/crevice and a bit of dilute bleach, followed by a very thorough airing out. Ruined several batches for me till I figured it out. Lots of Belgian strains are diastaticus +; I love them but yikes, hard to manage.

OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t really have an answer other than that I believe the reading should be taken at the bottom of the meniscus. Now it’s hard to tell in the photo because of the bubbles present but I would read that as 1.002 or maybe even 1.004 - still dry but more believable I’d say. Also, did you take into account the temperature? On my hydrometer the chart says that for every 10f from the calibration temp to correct by .0013 so if you fermented really warm maybe that brings you up to 1.006. Idk I’m really just spitballing here.
I'll take it. It was definitely room temp, and, yes, that photo could be as high as 1.004. But it definitely looked closer to 1.0000 after it all settled (but didn't take another pic). But I'll gladly tell myself it was 1.006 and rest easy.

OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@bracconiere Noted.

@Jayjay1976 - I sadly suspect that's it. I'll plan out extra sanitation and hope for the best. I use plastic fermenters. So may be harder to salvage, but wouldn't be too hard to replace if it comes to that.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed looks like a reading of 1.000 + because of the meniscus.
Is brewferm an extract kit?

If you added a lot of hops then you could have got a distaticus effect from hop creep.

As the yeast is unknown some of those belgian yeasts are very hungry yeasts and will burn through all the short and long sugars.
Yeah, the Tripel itself doesn't taste bad. I think it will still be quite drinkable. Brewferm is a pre-hopped, malt extract lme brand that comes with a sachet of dry mystery yeast (and is pretty good in my experience). I doubt their yeast is diastaticus but who knows. I've also used 2-3 diastaticus yeasts in the past few months. So contamination is certainly possible. Hops were pretty light - whatever was in the mix and then I added 1 oz cascade for 30 minute boil (7 gallons).

The plan is to just re-sanitize everything very thoroughly and see what happens next batch.