07.07.07 Hops Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should the hops plan be for 07.07.07?

• Seven different hop varieties

• Seven different hop additions

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I think seven grains is a sure thing at this point. Now we have to wrangle out the hops issue. Go ahead and post specific ideas after voting.

1st voter - seven additions - no wait did I really want that? oh yea, I did. with a couple types of hops.

Yooper Chick said:
Me too! Seven additions with two or three different hops. Maybe one for bittering, and then two types with three additions each.

I agree with Lorena, I think we need to come up with 3 different ones and do multible additions.

It looks like, at least wth the early returns, that it's going to be 7 additions with a smaller variety. While not my first choice, it's probbaly more palatable and will really accentuate the solid maltiness of a 7-grain bill.

I'll be doing the 7-variety thing just for kicks if it doesn't end up being what the 7.7.7 vote turns out to be.

10-gallon brewday for me!! :ban:

What are we thinking for the hop additions? 60/45/30/15/5/0/Dry? I'd like to lobby for a FWH for the all-grainers instead of maybe the 45 minute addition. Obviously that wouldn't work for extract brewers.

what do you all think chinook for bittering then Simcoe and amarillo for the flavor / aroma additions. I'm down with columbus also, I just feel that Chinook is a real solid bittering hop and gives it a good bitter backbone, IMHO.

Three hops:

1 with high AA's, for aroma and maybe flavor
1 with mid grade AA's for flavor, maybe aroma
1 with low level AA's for bittering.

We want the MALT flavor to shine through and not be hidden by too many hops.

I say 4 additions. 7 is a lot and people are destined to screw up.

Cheesefood said:
We want the MALT flavor to shine through and not be hidden by too many hops.

I agree with this, but I'm not sure you can do this with even four additions. I think you almost need to forget the "7" with the hops; any significant amount of hop flavor is going to be buried, even if the late additions are smallish.

I voted for 7 Additions. I agree that 7 varieties is too much for a Pale to really enjoy the malt flavor, and it would overpower it. I like the schedule of FWH/60/30/15/5/0/Dry. We definately can do the 7 additions, as long as they are smaller amounts, and all us extreme hopheads go easy.

I am definately looking forward to this recipe.

Back